The Family pt.2

December 2018

The next morning, Taehyung's family takes them outside to shovel snow after breakfast. Although the sun is shining, some light snow still lies on the ground from the night before. Because it rarely snows in Daegu, they hurry to shovel it out of the courtyard. Moonhae's heeled leather boots and fancy overcoat, however, are not cut out for the job. Taehyung has another laughing fit when his mother gives her some oversized overalls and muddy boots to wear outside and she starts pouting.

By the time lunch rolls around, they're all exhausted and extremely hungry.

"So what time are Jeonggyu and Eunjun getting here?", Taehyung refers to his siblings as he stands impatiently at the dinner table.

"I, uh...", his mother starts fidgeting nervously with the cutlery, before continuing in a saddened tone, "They're not coming, Taehyung."

"What? Why?", his eyebrows knit together in an irritated expression.

"They said they're busy...", she avoids his questioning stare, "And that they don't want to cater to your schedule alone all the time."

"Are you serious?", he scoffs out, "They know my schedule isn't up to me and that I would come visit them all the time if I could! But I can't, so why don't they just make a small effort? It's like they don't even want to see me anymore..."

"I'm sure that's not true", Moonhae assures him, awkwardly standing between the two family members.

"Taehyung, I don't know what to tell you", his mother sighs, "They get very upset when you can't even make it home for Christmas."

"How is that my fault?", he chokes up with tears.

"Ah, Taehyungie", his mother rushes over to comfort him in her embrace, knowing the boy gets emotional very easily.

"I haven't seen Eunjun in so long... I just wanted to see how she's doing", he whispers wistfully.

"She's doing great, Taehyungie", she assures him, "Still going to college like a good girl. And Jeonggyu is, too."

"Okay...", he sniffles a little before drying his eyes with the back of his hand.

"Let's eat something, huh?", she suggests, pulling back from her son with a softened expression.

They seat themselves and enjoy the food, although the atmosphere has changed from last night. Taehyung pokes his food around joylessly and his mother and father try to keep a nice conversation up and running. Moonhae, however, is too distracted by the emotional pain in her boyfriend's eyes to be contributing to the chat.

After the meal is done and they're busy cleaning up the dishes, an idea pops into his mother's mind.

"How about you two look at some photo albums?", she suggests cheerfully.

Instantly, Moonhae's mood changes as she whips around towards Taehyung.

"Oh can we please?", she begs him, putting on her sweetest expression.

He can't help but smile a little, "Ok... Fine."

His mother brings out some dusty books from the cupboard and leaves the two lovebirds alone in the living room as she finishes cleaning up in the kitchen with her husband. Moonhae takes the first album onto her lap, opening it up in anticipation.

"Is that you?", she gasps at the little kid with the boxy smile in between two other toddlers.

"Mmh", he nods, grinning at her reaction.

As she flips through more pages filled with the little boy at different ages, she comes to a realization.

"Taehyung, you're so chubby!", she laughs out, "Why were you so fat?"