New Beginnings

July 2022

It must be around three in the morning when Moonhae wakes from her light sleep with an upset stomach. Eyes fluttering open, she feels dizzy and nauseous. Not thinking much of it, she sits up and reaches for a glass of water on the night stand. Her hand almost there, a huge wave of nausea hits her out of nowhere, forcing her to clasp her hand over her mouth and run to the bathroom. She makes it to the toilet just in time, heaving into it as her stomach empties itself from whatever she ate the night before.

"Moonhae...?", a tired and raspy voice calls to her from inside the bedroom.

She's not able to answer as the next wave of nausea hits her and she's throwing up again. That's when there's rustling and footsteps all the way to the bathroom entrance, where a puffy-faced Taehyung pokes his head in. His barely opened eyes need a moment to take in the scene and when they do, they widen a bit. He immediately crouches down next to her, gently rubbing her back and pulling her hair out of her face.

"Moonhae, what happened?", he asks her softly.

"I think that seafood we ate last night wasn't good...", she speaks exhaustedly between breaths.

"Oh shit... Yeah, you weren't too keen on eating it anyway... We should've had something else", he mumbles as his eyes keep threatening to close.

Despite his sleep deprivation, he sits by her side for the next hour as her gag reflexes kick in every once in a while. His head bobs slowly every time he drifts off and he quickly snaps awake again, trying to be the supportive boyfriend she needs right now.

"Tae, you should go to bed, I'll be fine... Eventually", she prods him. She looks so exhausted and pale and he knows he can't leave her alone.

"I have a better idea", he tells her before disappearing into the bedroom for a few minutes.

Back he comes with a huge pile of blankets and pillows in his arms, which he then places around the bathroom floor for their comfort. He makes sure she has a pillow to sit on and a cover to wrap herself in before arranging a little bed of blankets around her.

Softly whispering words of encouragement to her as her waves of sickness hit her less and less, he eventually nods off while lying on the makeshift bed.

The next morning comes in a haze, both of them still exhausted having not gotten much sleep. However, both have busy schedules for the day, so Moonhae slowly shakes the boy lying next to her on the bathroom floor awake.

"Hey, we gotta get to work", she croaks and his eyes barely open.

"You can't go to work", he says when seeing how sick and pale she still looks.

"It's fine, I just need to shower off", she insists, getting up and moving towards the shower.

"I'll get you something to eat", he stands up as well with a tired stretch.

"No... I can't eat anything, it'll come right back out", she whines.

"But you need something in your stomach", he says moving towards the door, "At least some plain white rice."

"...Fine", she pouts, knowing he's right.

Once he's gotten her some food and they've gotten ready, she somehow manages to keep the rice down. With her still insisting to go to work today, there's not much he can do but tell her to take it easy.

As the boys wait for practice to start that morning, Namjoon finds himself glued to his phone. He has been for the past month. It's been the only way to keep in touch with the girl he's taken a strong liking to and their communication seems a lot less awkward over text and phone calls.