Chapter 20

His face hunts me as I run around in circles, trying desperately to find The Tree.

That expression of his. As if the world was ending. As if I said something that could not be true.

His hand had let go of mine immediately, and as I couldn't look at that face any longer, I turned around and left.

Yes, I skipped last period.

Mum will probably kill me if she finds out, but I can't care less.

Now, all I try to do I find Lucy. But it's like The Tree doesn't want to be found.

And I really need to find it.

My wolf-form runs around in the forest, just wanting to find Lucy. My emotions haven't calmed down yet, they're just as unreadable as they were yesterday. They're so many and too confusing that they just leave a numb feeling over my body and mind.

Everything is clouded. With huge, thick, dark, clouds.

Suddenly, a dim green light calls among the trees. I start to run faster, almost tripping over myself.

Only a few things runs troughs my mind;

Has she been healed yet? Is she awake? Will she be okay again?

As I take one last leap through the trees and out into the clearing, I see her.

Lucy.

She is up from the water, laying peacefully in the grass at the shore of the pond. The two wolves that has been with her all this time send me excited looks.

Lucy will be okay.

When that thought reach my mind, it does backflips of joy.

My best friend is going to be fine.

It's like a strong wind swish pass my mind, everything that's clouding it disappearing. It's replaced with utter happiness.

She'll be fine.

With a animalistic smile I turn to the females. It isn't before now I realise how tired they both look. Happy, but dead tired. A sting of guilt stab my consciousness.

"You can leave for now. I'll stay with her." I say, offering them a chance to sleep.

They send me a thankful look, before they slowly make their way out of the glade. As fast as they're gone, I turn my full attention to Lucy.

I take a few steps closer and examine her closely, eyes narrowed.

She rests her head on her paws, quiet snores escaping her mouth. Her eyes are closed, and a peaceful expression rests upon her.

I lay down beside her, satisfied with what I see. Maybe I'll finally be able to get a little nap. After all, I'm not a heavy sleeper, and the tiniest of sound won't pass my ear without waking me up.

Although, I'm not even able to shut my eyes, before something behind us snaps.

In less than a second, I'm up, turned and ready to face what and whoever dares to sneak up on The Forest Guardian with a nasty snarl.

Emight looks like a deer caught in headlight. He has one paw in the air, with a broken stick beneath it, and his eyes are wider than ever.

My eyes holds his eyes in a steady gaze, my teeth still showing.

"I wasn't it you that shifted into that horse...?" Emight says, hesitantly and a bit thoughtfully.

I don't respond, I just continue to snarl, a warningly growl escaping me. I can't even bother that he's my mate. My instincts to protect Lucy are stronger.

"I... We promise that we won't hurt you... Or your friend for that matter." he continues, as his voice almost cracks at the end.

It isn't before now that I realise how broken he sounds. He sound hurt and ready to burst into tears.

"Can you just please tell us one thing..."

Emight's eyes seems shiny, as if tears are threatening to invade them. I shift my weight from leg to leg, feeling slightly uncomfortable. His broken expression really gets to me.

"...why do you smell like her?"

I still show my teeth, even if the growling have stopped. To him I probably look as if I'm irritated. But on the inside I'm melting.

He's broken. He's hurt. I don't know if it's my sympathy or the mate bond, but that hurts me too.

My lips cover up my teeth again, as I raise my head high. My gaze is still on him though.

A few days ago, I would forgive him if I looked into those eyes. Just drop the façade and tell him everything. Tell him about me being a Guardian. But not now.

Not when I've figured out the consequences.

I will never be able to look at his father without feeling sick. I will never be able to live under the same roof as him, less have him as father to my mate.

Even if it hurts.

"None of your business." I spat at him. I feel a sting at my chest, but I know that this is what I need to do.

Emight look hurt. It seems as if he notices Lucy which gets him in other thoughts, since his eyes fill with even more emotions.

"Is that... the Alpha?" he asks, even though he probably know the answer already.

I nod hesitantly, a little unsure of how to respond to that kind of question.

Emight spaces out a little, as if Luke speaks to him.

"Is... Is it okay if we... If we stay here with her?"

-----------

A/N:

I'm currently going through all chapters I've posted earlier, and editing the first couple of chapter so that they aren't as... n00bie.

Soooo.... Next chapter might be a little late.

Anywho, what do you think will happen? What's up with Emight and Luke? Do they suspect something? DO THEY KNOW?!

I, of course, know what's up... but your guesses are funny to read.

//siggeisthedog.