Chapter 38

"Lauren, I want you to meet someone." Luke announces proudly as he opens the door, covering me behind him.

He has showed me around the Pack House today, from where his friends live to where the kitchen is.

And now, he wants me to be introduced to Lauren, which I surprisingly haven't met yet. If you think of it, it's kind of weird that I haven't.

Or it isn't, but I'm planning on finding that out.

"Who is it?" a old lady asks, and I can hear the warmth in her voice even if I can't see her.

"My mate." Luke beams proudly, swing if the door open a little more to reveal me. I smile at her slightly, feeling remotely uncomfortable.

"Oh, what a beauty!" Lauren coos, as Luke tugs me into the room.

The room is small and two walls are covered with bookshelves who are stacked with books. There's a window in the third wall and some paintings on another, and with the big comfy chair in the middle, it really gives me the feel of an cozy library.

It felt calming, in some way.

Oh, sh*t.

My eyes trail over to the dry flowers, who stand on the small coffee table, seemingly harmless.

Yup, there the herb is.

I roll my eyes mentally at the short lady's tricks, but don't comment it.

"So, what's your name sweety?" Lauren asks, her sweet tone almost a little too sweet.

It makes me question if Luke's facts about his father actually are true. If this is how she acted then, I wouldn't be surprised if it's complete and utter bullsh*t.

"Samantha." I answer, matching her sweet tone. "Samantha Garth."

I put emphasis on my last name, hoping that I'll trigger something in her.

And I do.

Something flashes before her eyes, as they go slightly wide. She covers it up though, but not fast enough for it to slip by unnoticed.

"Luke, dude um. Alpha Peter wants to talk to you outside." I hear a wolf yell, probably through their mind-link.

"One second." Emight answers back, before Luke looks at us.

"You're dismissed." I smile at him, and Luke is about to protest when Lauren cuts in.

"Listen to her, now go! We'll be alright."

With that, Luke leaves.

The moment the door is shut, I turn to the old lady expectantly.

"I would punch you for not telling us that you were alive, if the sleeping herb weren't here." I say bluntly to Lauren, who's mouth twitch into a smile.

"That's my girl." Lauren smiles, even if I'm showing how remotely thrilled I am to see her.

"Now, as you might get, I'm slightly concerned about my future, since it doesn't seem like you passed out cold when I turned sixteen after all." I say, my voice hosting no emotions. I fold my arms over my chest, and lean against one of the bookshelves.

Lauren shakes her head disapprovingly.

"You don't pass out cold when the next guardian turns sixteen. You just have to chose an animal to forever shift into."

I nod shortly, urging the lady to continue. I'm keeping my closed composure, not because I'm afraid she'll see how I really feel and take advantage if that, but because I don't want to send her an emotion that will cut her off.

"And if I'm going to be honest, I had just found out about werewolves, and they seemed interesting so I chose that."

"You mean that you hadn't taken their form, but you could be that anyway?" I question, scepticism dripping from my voice.

"Yes."

I nod shortly again.

"Now, as you seem to get," Lauren continues, giving me a pointed, almost aggravated look. "werewolves have this thing called mate. Soulmate, to be exact. And it's nothing to mess with. So I think you should tell Luke that you aren't his mate and stop playing with his feelings."

------------
A/N:

What did that last statement come from!?
Have you had your guess on who Lauren is!?

Well, at least I know, and there is a way you could know...
*wiggles eyebrows*

18 votes is all I ask for ; )

//siggeisthedog