《 mingi 》

disclaimer: reader used to have a friend who died/moved and mingi moves into their house

disclaimer: reader used to have a friend who died/moved and mingi moves into their house. Because reader used to come over a lot, they visit the house out of habit and mingi invites them over for some tea.

[---]

You sighed when you looked at the photo in your hands of you and your best friend since you were 3 years old. Her name was Ava and she was your first friend from kindergarten. When you moved from the city to the countryside, Ava was the first one to approach you. She thinks you were really cute and you reminded her of a doll she has at home. Since then, you two were inseparable.

At 18 years old, Ava was diagnosed with cancer stage 4. By the time the doctor found out, she was half dying. Ava wouldn't tell you about her cancer until her mother called you crying.

"She won't make it. Please come tonight."

Boy, was Ava mad at her mother for calling you. Her eyes were half-lidded, her head shaved to do her chemotherapy, her panda eyes and her used to be pink lips turned white. You were sobbing when you held her hands until her last breath. You mourned for weeks.

Now at 24 years old, struggling between college and working part-time job. You weren't complaining but it was disturbing your sleeping pattern so it made you cranky. You looked at your phone to look at the date and realized it was 3 days before Ava's passing anniversary.

"6 years . . ." you mumbled. Mourning session was over for you on the 3rd year but you missed her so much, it felt like you lost half of you.

After work, you decided to stop by her old house where her family used to stay in. It was abandoned 2 years after her death but there are some people who lived there. So this year, you decided to stop by early and brought some food to eat in her house when it's abandoned. Weird, I know, but you felt secure when you're in Ava's house especially her room.

But what stopped you was there are 2 different branded cars parked infront of the house – the house was painted new and there were plants placed by the porch. You blinked at how much your late friend's house has changed.

"Can I help you?" a guy walked up to you and there was another guy next to him watching you suspiciously. They were holding groceries in each hand.

"Oh uh... I'm sorry. I was just—" you looked down at the food you brought trying to think of something to say that doesn't make you suspicious. "A friend of mine used to live here, I came out of habit."

Their expression relaxed and one of them smiled. "Oh, we thought you're one of the neighbourhood girls trying to invade our privacy. We had that when we first move here."

"I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not invading, I promise."

"So, you're eating alone?" the other friend asked. "We saw you trying to go inside our house but you stopped halfway looking surprised. Your friend didn't tell you they moved?"

"No. She would've told me but no. She died when we were 18. I come here every year before her passing anniversary." Your voice cracked. The two guys panicked.

"Wait, don't cry. Umm, Mingi, help."

Mingi, the red haired friend, thought of something then his face brightened. "Do you want to come inside?" you looked up surprised. "See, when we moved, the wallpapers and furniture are still in the house. We wanted to reuse it so if there is some stuff you want to bring back; you can have it."

"I can?"

"Sure! The agent told us there was a family who lived here 6 years ago and their stuff was in the basement. Never been touched. There were tenants who lived here before us but they told us it was scary to live inside. And here we are." The first guy said.

"And since you know the family from that 6 years ago, you can come in." Mingi invited. "There are 6 more boys inside, by the way. We rent the whole house together by our salaries."

"I'm San, by the way."

"And I'm Mingi. You'll meet our other friends inside." You stared at Mingi longer when he suddenly blushed because of you. You thanked them and they led you inside.

A year later . . .

It was a year later after you befriended Mingi's friends who now lives in Ava's house. They renovated the house completely but every time you come over, it felt like Ava was still there.

What used to be her room is now Wooyoung and Mingi's room. The two of them are roommates. You felt more comfort in Ava's room and you still do. It was a week before Ava's birthday. You were thinking what to do for her birthday when Mingi walked in.

"Hey, babe." He kissed you as a greet.

"How's your day?" you asked, sitting up and put aside your notebook.

You and Mingi started dating 5 months after knowing each other and it was unexpected of you to confess to him first. Turns out he likes you too but he never had a girlfriend before so he was clueless on how to ask you out. So, you took bull by the horns and confessed.

"Work was tiring. We just closed the café early due to emergency mosquito fogging." He laid down on the bed next to you and his made contact with your notebook. He picked it up. "What's this?"

"I was just thinking of what to do on Ava's birthday. Usually I'm alone on that day or visiting her parents' but I want to do something different this year."

"Any ideas?"

"No," you pouted. "Maybe I should visit her hometown and spend time with her family." But you actually didn't want to.

"Don't force yourself. It's okay for you not to do it, though." He wrapped his arms around you.

"But I always do it every year. It will feel weird if I don't do it this year." You sighed, relaxing into his embrace.

He hummed as he thought of something for you. "Well, Hongjoong composes songs and we would perform it in our café sometimes. Why not ask him to write one for you and your friend?"

You became interested. "He would do that for me?"

"Don't underestimate on our leader. This is the same guy who cries with you after you told your story about Ava. Of course, he would do it for you. In fact, I can ask him now."

"Ava would love it." You snuggled into Mingi and kissed him. "Thank you, Mingi. Will you perform it for me?"

"I'm the singer; of course I'd perform!"

"You're a rapper, Mingi, but whatever floats your boat."