~16~

“I’m home!” Shivaay said as he entered the mansion. Annika and Ofelia were the only two waiting in the living room for him.
“Shivaay? Were have you been? I’ve been calling you for hours!” Ofelia reprimanded her son and he just shrugged, knowing really well that she hated when he did that.
“I was at work Ms Gomez. You see, people need to earn money to survive! Anyways, where’s my jaan? Carrie must have felt bored here, all day long.”
“She said that she was resting, she’s in the room next to yours and Annika’s room.” Ofelia explained.
“What do you mean by mine and Annika’s?” Shivaay eyed his mother suspiciously.
“Well since you’re married you must share the same room…” Ofelia said and Annika looked down as she blushed.
“Me? With this snake? In the same freaking room? God have mercy upon me!”
“Remember that the snake as you call her is your wife and your child’s mother. You shall respect her for the life she’s about to bring into this world. You don’t know that mothers can sacrifice their own life for their babies’.”
“Oh don’t worry about that mom, I know very well, since you showed me what you can do for my life… Like choosing Annika over me! That’s awesome! Now if you’d let me, I’d like to kiss my fiancee good night.” Shivaay said and Annika let out the breath she didn’t even realise she was holding.
Having him mad at her was something she had never experienced and now that she was experiencing it, she wished she hadn’t tortured Shivaay like she did. His anger was making him hate everything related to her including his own mother. His pain could be felt in every single action of his and she was scared to death, because she was actually feeling it. She was actually feeling the pain she put him through…
“Annika you shall go to sleep now.” Ofelia said, putting her hand over Annika’s shoulder.
“Yes,… I should.” Annika muttered and headed upstairs. She was near her room when she heard Shivaay and Carrie talking. She stopped near Carrie’s room to listen.
“You are very important to me Carrie and I’m thankful that I am going through all this stuff with you by my side.”
“I know it’s difficult, all this stuff and having the baby in the middle mustn’t be easy. But I’ll be forever here for you, always.” Then Annika left because she couldn’t no more. From all the punishments he had for her, treating her like her father treated her mother was out of the league. It was just too much. Annika went to her room and sat on the floor then she bent and picked a box under her bed. She held the necklace around her neck which had a heart pendant. She then opened the pendant, there was a picture of her mom on one side and on the other a small key. She took the key and opened the box. Inside were the most important things in her life, pictures, items, everything that mattered to her at some point, especially the last picture she took with her mom. She picked it up and kissed it.
“So that’s how you felt huh? That’s how you felt when daddy was out to Jaya? Did you feel each part of your being burning with anger, rage, ire, pain… jealousy… I didn’t even want this wedding, and here I am tied to him forcefully but being ashamed of being his wife. The worst part is that I’m not ashamed of being his wife because he’s my nanny's son, I’m ashamed of being his wife because I know that I’m not loved. I’m ashamed of just being a surrogate mother. It’s funny because it was only a few days ago that I learned about my pregnancy, that I wanted an abortion, but now, knowing what you endured, being conscious of how lonely I really am, I cannot think of anything else but the baby in my womb. As Ofelia likes to say, ‘que será será’ (what has to happen will happen), I’m not giving up the baby to Shivaay, neither will I have him raise my baby with someone else than me.”