~17~

The day of the first ultrasound had come and Annika was anxious. That day wasn’t only the first time she would see her baby but she was now officially head of her mother’s business. She had a meeting with the staff in the morning before going to the ultrasound in the afternoon. The last few days had been hard for her. She was the owner of the mansion but she lived there as a ghost. Even though Ofelia had stood by her side, her knowing that Annika wanted to abort made her drift apart from Annika even though the latter told her that she wasn’t thinking that way anymore. And about Carrie? She was having everything Annika should have had as Shivaay's wife. If Annika was to fight, she would have done that but what for? She was unsure of her feelings, and even though she felt attracted to Shivaay she couldn’t admit that she needed him in her life, as her partner and not just as a father to their child.
Anyways… she was checking herself on her mirror, admiring her look, a more formal than usual. No one knew that she was to take her role as a CEO that day, not even Ofelia.
“You’re beautiful Annie…” She complimented herself then she lowered her gaze and looked at her belly.
“Mommy is about to conquer the world, with you by her side, Jaanu.” She smiled some more and left her room. It was 6, as per his routine, Shivaay was running with Carrie and Ofelia would still be asleep until 7. It was the perfect timing for her. She took her car keys and left.
“No need to let people know about my achievements.” She mumbled as she got ready to leave. She reached her office at 8.00 , she had stopped by a Starbucks to buy some breakfast. When she reached the office, the receptionist hardly recognized her and she had to show her ID card to be let in. The receptionist asked someone to show her around and lead her to the meeting room.
As she entered the meeting room, she came face to face with her dad who wasn’t occupying the boss' seat anymore.
“Good morning everyone. As you probably know, I’m Ashton and Ahana Davis' daughter Annika Davis. I’m the new CEO of this firm since it’s part of what my late mother Ahana left for me. I know that we’re now heading  towards a transition and I’m ready to take whatever time is needed for us to work together towards the success of this business. First of all, let me tell you about some changes. As I’m now the owner of this business, I’ve decided to make the filial located in Great Britain partially independent. This filial will be directed by Ashton Davis and it represents 45% of our firm. It means that Mr Davis will be free to manage the business there the way he wants but he will have to send me reports of his every actions. Then, as I’m new to all of this, I’ll be having someone to help me run the business, who’s none other than Ayaan Shah, my mother’s brother. He’ll be assisting me from now on until I’m fully capable to run the business. Moreover, I’d like to let you know that this business will go by a different name but the change won’t come yet. I’m done with what I wanted to say. For the moment, we won’t be having hard decisions to make unless it is requested by our partners in business. . Let’s keep this transition easy, ok? So any questions?” Annika maintained a stern face and a firm posture which she never had before.
“Ms Davis when will the change begin? Like when will you join in and all?” One of the executives asked.
“As soon as possible, I hope that by next week we’ll be able to start our transition.” Annika answered and checked the clock on the wall. The appointment for her ultrasound was in less than an hour.
“Do you plan on firing people?” Another person asked.
“Mr Shah and myself will personally see how to organize the business as an efficient one. And my dad can also take as many employees as he wants to work with him in Great Britain if they want to join the firm there. I’m not here to fire people. I’m here to take my mom’s heritage to great heights.” Annika patted her own back as she thought that she had dodged the difficulty.
The meeting went on until she left the building with only fifteen minutes left to go to her appointment. With God’s will, she managed to get to the doctor’s office before Carrie or Shivaay and he took her inside before they arrived.
“So, miss Davis, is it your first pregnancy?” The doctor asked and Annika nodded.
“And what about the father?” He enquired.
“He couldn’t make it on time for the first appointment.” Annika stuttered.
“Okay then, let’s proceed to the examination.” The doctor said and lead Annika to the examination room.
He let her get ready then came back to examine her.
“Since it’s the beginning of the pregnancy, you know that you won’t be able to see some things like the baby's sex, and all. We’ll only check your baby’s health.” Annika hummed and let him apply the gel on her belly to do the ultrasound.
“Well everything seems to be fine… as you can see here is your baby. You can see his little fingers which are developing. Wait a minute, I’ll turn the sound on so you can hear the baby’s heart beats.” Annika’s eyes teared up when she heard the baby’s heart. It was definitely the most perfect sound she had ever heard. But her mind was focused on something else.
“Doctor, is it normal? I can hear different heart beats!” Annika said.
“Yes, it’s your heartbeat and the baby’s.” The doctor said nonchalantly.
“No listen closely! There is a heartbeat alongside the baby’s.” Annika was persistent and after a much needed concentration, he heard that there was indeed a heartbeat almost exactly the same as the baby’s.
“You’re correct there is indeed one more heartbeat but there is nothing visible except for this embryo. I’m gonna prescribe you a blood test. It will be easier to know if you’re having twins. Sometimes it happens that we can’t see the second twin until later on in the pregnancy.” The doctor explained.
“So I will probably have twins?!”

So, is Annika really having twins?? 😅😅