iii. a new home

"WE'RE LOSING HER

"WE'RE LOSING HER." Bellamy exclaims as he paces back and forth. You could feel the anxiety coming off of him in waves.

"Relax. Save your energy." Kane tells Bellamy.

"Kane's right, son. The army will move soon. You'll need your strength for what comes next." Pike chimes in. Bellamy finally sits down as Monty moves closer to his mom.

"I need to know what happened." Monty begins, referring to his father who hadn't made it.

"Monty." Hannah sighs.

"Please." Monty begs.

"We landed in the snow. Your father said it absorbed some of the impact. That's why we survived. The snow looked so beautiful, it- Charles?" Hannah cut herself off as she could no longer speak with the tears streaming down her face.

"The children were playing in it. They were the first to die. Fifteen of them. If not for your father, would've been more. He pulled four kids back into the ship. All four alive today. They got him when he went back for the fifth. Your father died a hero, Monty. We've been fighting Grounders ever since." Pike finishes for Hannah.

"That was the Ice Nation. Not all Grounders are the same." Kane speaks up, though that didn't make anyone feel any better. Especially Kane and Bellamy. Everything they had been hearing about Ice Nation caused them to begin to fear the worst for Kya.

"They are to me." Pike states.

-

"Forty-two of us got out alive." Monty tells his mother and Pike about their time in Mount Weather while they waited the army out. "We did what we had to."

"You did the right thing. Kill or be killed." Pike speaks up. "So Mt. Weather is ours now?"

"Yeah. Yeah, we use it for supplies." Kane explains, standing up from his position on the ground.

"Supplies? It's a nuclear hardened underground city." Pike comments.

"We established a truce. We need to think about perception." Kane tells him.

"We need to think about what happens when the Grounders break that truce, because they will." Pike exclaims. While Pike and Kane had been talking Monty had gotten up to talk to Bellamy. Monty's eyes widened when he noticed one of the Ice Nation grounders armor had been striped off of him.

"Oh, crap. Bellamy, what are you doing?"

-

Bellamy held his breath as he fell in line with the rest of grounders. His plan was to break away from them as soon as possible, but that was going to be harder than he thought. Bellamy jumps slightly when he feels a heavy hand fall on his shoulder. Looking up is a taller man, an Azgeda soldier. The grounder doesn't say anything to Bellamy, instead turns him in the opposite direction so he was facing the correct way. Bellamy lets out a sigh once the grounder walks away, leaving Bellamy enough time to sneak into the woods.

He follows the tracks and is stopped when he comes across what used to be part of a building, only the underground part still stood. Bellamy drops the mask to the ground and yanks out a machete, slowly making his way down the steps. He crouches down, once entering the room. Tied against a pillar he noticed Clarke, a breath of relief exited his body as he saw her. Her captor didn't seem to be around so he ran towards her.

Clarke's eyes widened when she see's Bellamy. Both friends and co-leaders let smiles appear on their faces as they take in one another. "I'll get you out of here." Bellamy mumbles, pulling the cloth from Clarke's mouth.

"Look out!" Clarke suddenly yells. Bellamy whipped around, but he wasn't fast enough. Clarke's captor had knocked Bellamy onto the ground and held a knife to his throat. "No please, please don't. I'll do anything, I'll stop fighting. Just please don't kill him." At Clarke's pleads, the grounder removes his knife from Bellamy's throat. "Thank you." Clarke breathes out, not before the grounder stabbed Bellamy in the leg, causing him to yell in pain.

"Don't follow us." The grounder states, knocking Bellamy out.

-

Bellamy groans as he stumbles through the woods, trying to make it back to the cave. "Bellamy! He's hurt!" Monty yells, spotting Bellamy.

"He's here." Kane tells the others, before turning to Bellamy. "We told you to wait for the army to move."

"What happened?" Monty questions as he examines Bellamy's leg.

"I almost got her." Bellamy breathes out, trying to put pressure on the stab wound on his leg.

"Pike, find their trail." Kane instructs.

"It's useless." Pike tells them. "He knows he's being followed now." Bellamy grows angry at Pike's words. There was no way he was losing Clarke when they were this close. He begins limping farther into the forest before Kane stops him.

"Hey. You can't even walk." Kane exclaims.

"So what, we give up?" Bellamy questions almost on the verge of tears, not from the pain, but from the fear of Clarke. "Let him kill her? What about Kya?"

"I want to find them too, but look at your leg. You could die out here. We have no trail." Monty tells him.

"We can't lose them." Bellamy yells before dropping his voice down to a whisper. "I can't lose her."

"We'll find them, okay?" Monty reassures. "We will figure something out, I promise. But this isn't the way."

Bellamy is silent for a moment before he finally nods. "Okay."

"I got you, now, come on." Monty mumbles, wrapping his arm around Bellamy to help him walk.

"Let's head back." Kane calls.

-

Kya walked through the forest in silence as she thought about her current situation. The village she lived in was a quiet, hidden place. It was called Shallow Valley and not many people knew about it. For a while Shallow Valley had been her home. They let Kya stay as long as she did her part. Farming, hunting, training the younger children to be warriors one day.

It was small and safe and no one knew or recognized Kya here, not like they'd be able to even if they tried. After a month of searching and not being able to find Clarke, Kya became resentful. She was mad at the world and she no longer wanted to be Kya, or the name they had so graciously given her, Fayaheda.

She had passed many villages on her travels and in one there was a young woman who specialized in hair. Kya told the woman she no longer wanted to recognize the fiery red hair that had become her trademark. Within a day Kya's hair went from the bright orange to a blonde so light it would blend in with snow. Kya thanked the women and from there on no one recognized the young girl. It made her feel free, like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders.

Another perk about Shallow Valley was they weren't surrounded by any other tribe. The village was surround by miles of forest. The thought of having distance between Azgenda and Lexa brought Kya joy as she hunted. Even with the full and lively forest Kya didn't love hunting, she'd much rather be training, but she knew she couldn't come back to the village empty handed. Kya crouched down as she spotted a cougar. Without giving it much thought she pounced, shoving the blade of her sword through the cougars body. It let out a roar before going limp. "I'm sorry." Kya mumbles.

It was silly for her to let guard down. She told her self she wouldn't, no matter how safe she felt in Shallow Valley. She had survived this long by being cautious. Because of this no one had been able to find her. Coming out to the forest everyday, practicing with her sword, becoming familiar with the woods, it made her too comfortable. So comfortable that she didn't hear the footsteps approaching her. Just as she yanked her sword from the cougars body her world went black.