xxxv. new friendships

"SECTORS, 3, 4, and 5 sustained the worst damage

       "SECTORS, 3, 4, and 5 sustained the worst damage. We lost the server room, all of our processors, and life support systems, and half of our living quarters. Now, backup power will keep the lights on at night in the rooms that survived, but we'll have no heat or running water. And no way to restore it or reseal the ship before the radiation gets here." Monty explains.

"Is there any good news?" Bellamy questions, wrapping his arm around Kya, who was still in pain, but no longer felt as weak. Kya just wanted to help Raven and Abby.

"Well, no one died." Kane states.

"Forget the Ark. It was never gonna save us all anyway. We need to focus our resources on the Nightblood solution. Is the fuel loaded?" Kya questions.

"It's in process, but, Kya, it isn't gonna be an easy ride." Bellamy mumbles, glancing down at the blonde.

Kya looks up at him confused. "What don't I know?"

Roan sighs. "With the secret of Praimfaya out, I sent Echo and my army back to Polis to keep the peace."

"That's good. We need peace to distribute the cure." Clarke speaks up.

"More than half of them deserted on the way. With the end coming, they want to be home. I don't blame them." Roan continues.

"Do you blame them for burning Trikru villages as they go?" Bellamy questions, glaring at Roan.

"That's funny coming from you." Roan eggs Bellamy on, so much so that his grip on Kya slightly tightens. Kya glances up at him, lightly rubbing the arm wrapped around her waist.

"Enough." Kane tells them. "We know the woods are a war zone. After what happened with Ilian, I can't spare many of the guard to protect you."

"My security detail can protect us." Roan exclaims.

"Thank you. That's very generous." Kane nods.

"We are all in this together now." Roan states, exiting the room.

"I'm gonna go load up the rover." Monty mumbles, walking out.

"I'm going with you." Kane begins when it's just Clarke, Kya, and Bellamy.

"Dad." Kya begins. "You can't."

"I'm the Chancellor." Kane exclaims, staring at his daughter.

"That's why you can't. After everything that happened this morning, our people need you here, now more than ever. I know you're worried about Abby." Kya remarks.

"She's going into space in a 100-year-old rocket. Do you have any idea how many things could go wrong?" Kane questions.

"Raven says the rocket's intact. She'd like a little more fuel, but as long as we get her what we've got, she said she'll get them both back down safely." Clarke speaks up. "Look, we have to try. I'll send her your love."