xi. underestimated

IT WAS THE next day and Kya and Octavia were keeping an eye on some of Pike's men

       IT WAS THE next day and Kya and Octavia were keeping an eye on some of Pike's men. Last night after their conversation Lexa and Clarke had headed back to Polis along with Indra while Kya went to meet up with Octavia. "Pike's detail is still at it. Soil and water samples." Octavia whispers, pressing her finger against the ear piece Kane had given both of them.

"Any idea what they're up to?" Kane questions, his voice sounding through Kya's ear.

"No." Kya begins, peeking over the log they were crouched behind. "But considering how heavily they're armed, I don't think they want anyone to find out.

"Kya." Kya hears Octavia breathe her name. Kya turns, confusion written on her face as she looks at the brunette. Octavia points in front of Kya, the blonde turns back around following Octavia's gaze. In the distance a little boy walked through the river.

"Shit." Kya mumbles, pulling her sword from it's sheath.

"What is it?" Kane questions, hearing his daughter and Octavia communicate.

"There's a Grounder kid. Hang on." Kya exclaims.

"Hello there. Don't be scared." Hannah, Monty's mother, yells. The young boy looks up, just now noticing the other people along the river bank.

"We can't let him go. He'll tell his people he saw us." One of the guards states, grabbing ahold of his gun.

"Kya, Octavia, please respond." Kane mumbles. The girls ignore Kane as they watch the guard point his gun at the boy. Seeing he was in danger the young boy takes off, running in the opposite direction.

"Fan out, with me!" Hannah yells, her and the guards taking off after the boy.

"C'mon." Kya mutters, jumping over the log, Octavia following behind her.

"Girls, you there?" Kane continues.

"They're going after the kid. We're trying to cut them off." Kya exclaims.

"Distract them. I'll find the boy." Kya begins as the girls enter the woods. Octavia nods, running in a different direction. Shots were fired through the woods as the boy ran, suddenly being grabbed by a blonde haired woman. Kya tucks the boy into her chest, placing her hand over his mouth so they couldn't hear him breathing.

"We lost him." A guard mumbles, coming to stand right behind the tree Kya is pushed up against.

"Double back towards the river. He can't have gotten far." Hannah orders, as the other guard leaves, letting her continue her search in the area. Kya almost lets out a noise at the feeling of a burning sap falling on her head, the urge to groan in pain was strong, but she keeps her mouth shut. Finally Hannah leaves and Kya is able to wipe the sap from her forehead. The minute her arms unwrap themselves from the boy he's gone.

"Hey." Kya tries to call out, but he's already gone. "Octavia." Kya begins, tapping on her ear piece. "The boys fine, Meet me back at the cave."

-

Both girls are cleaning their blades when they hear hooves outside. "Miller." Kya exclaims when the young man stumbles into the cave.

"Finally, where's my horse?" Octavia questions, making her way over to Miller.

"Outside." Miller exclaims as he pulls Kya into a hug, pulling away they watch Octavia stride past them. "Nice to see you, too. Octavia, wait a second. You actually think that a bunch of Grounders're gonna give up their home because you asked them too?"

"If it's that or be wiped out, maybe." Octavia exclaims, stopping in the entrance of the cave.

"Okay, then what if they don't leave. Then we're leading our people into an ambush. Maybe if you just talked to your brother-" Miller begins before Kya cuts him off.

"Bellamy is on the wrong side." Kya states keeping her face emotionless.

"So what, then we don't even try?" Miller questions.

"What do you think happens when Lexa finds out that Skaikru massacred another Grounder village?" Octavia continues.

Miller is silent for a moment before he begins speaking. "War. More dead friends."

"Stop the attack. Stop a war." Kya states.

-

Kya and Octavia ride into the village, stopping in the center. Both girls put their hands up in a surrender gesture as grounders begin to notice them. "Ai mean yu nou bash op.  Ai mean yu nou bash op.  Ai mean yu nou bash op." (I mean you no harm. I mean you no harm. I mean you no harm.) Octavia begins.

"Liar." A grounder exclaims as the girls dismount their horses. "I've seen your face. You were at the Battle of the Mountain. She's Skaikru. Your guns killed our brothers and sisters. Warriors, sent by the commander to keep you safe." The grounder then turns to Kya. "And you are, you are Fayaheda. Commander of destruction."

"I'm sorry for your loss." Octavia shakes her head. "But we're here to warn you that the soldiers who did that are coming here now. They want your land, and they will kill all of you to get it. You need to leave this place right now."

"Are you threatening us?" The grounder questions, moving closer to the girls. Without giving them a chance to answer the grounder knocks Octavia's legs out form under her.

"Hey!" Kya yells grabbing ahold of the man, placing her sword against his throat. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"I'm trana gon help." (I'm trying to help.) Octavia states, jumping up from the ground.

"Chomouda should oso believe yu?" (Why should we believe you?" The grounder questions as Kya releases him, pushing him away.

"Kos she helped Ai, Semet." (Because she helped me, Semet.) The boy Kya had saved in the woods jumps out of the crowd.

"You're the one who saved Gavriel?" Semet questions, turning to Kya. Kya nods as Semet begins to back away from them. "Don't leave."

"You okay?" Kya questions, turning to Octavia once Semet had walked away.

Octavia nods, trying to catch her breath. "Yeah, he just winded me." Kya laughs slightly, going to rub Octavia's back.

"I hope this works, O." Kya states, looking around the village.

-

"You decided to leave." Octavia exclaims as Semet walks over to them. After talking with another grounder woman it seemed they had decided leaving was their best option.

"As you say, we're no match for Skaikru." Semet responds, shaking his head.

"What you're doing is as brave as going to battle, Semet." Octavia tells him. In the distance men begin yelling in pain, catching the attention of Kya and Octavia. As the girls walk closer to the men they see them wiping poisonous sap on a fire, the same sap that had fallen on Kya earlier.

"What is this?" Kya questions, anger lacing through her voice.

"You think you know us? You know nothing, Fayaheda." Semet snaps. Before Kya can react a hard object comes in contact with her head, and then her world goes black.