xxix. salvation

"TWO MEALS A day for people working as hard as ours, we won't make any friends

       "TWO MEALS A day for people working as hard as ours, we won't make any friends." Bellamy mumbles.

"Well, if there's one thing our people understand, it's rationing." Kya tells him as they organize food. "Besides, once we close those doors, it'll be one meal a day for the next five years."

"Try one meal every other day." Raven interrupts, stopping the drilling she had been doing on the wall. "Hunting parties are coming back with less and less. Thanks to your friend Niylah, we're preserving more meat than every, but it's still not enough. Without a way to make water, growing our own protein like we did on the Ark is not an option. Remember that when we're starving."

"I won't be starving because I won't be inside." Bellamy states.

"Bellamy." Kya begins, angrily. They had gone over this multiple times. "Yes, you will."

"Does that mean you made the list?" Raven questions, turning towards Kya and Clarke.

"No." Kya mumbles before getting back to work. "What about drinking water?"

"Kya, don't change the subject. We need to know who's gonna be on the inside of these doors when radiation comes." Raven exclaims pushing the subject.

"We don't need to know now." Kya states.

Before Raven could continue the intercom went off.  "We need some medical help at the front gate. Looks like we got some sick people there."

Move, stand back." Bellamy commands as they pushes their way through the crowd.

"Nyko." Kya begins, stepping past the gates. "What happened to them?"

"The sickness. We lost more than 40 on the way." Nyko explains.

"Luna?" Bellamy questions, walking besides Kya.

"Please don't turn us away because of what I did to you." Luna mumbles, barely able to talk.

In the distance Kya could hear Abby walking up to them. "Out of my way. Please let me through."

"Abby." Kya begins, crouching next to her while she examines Luna. "What is this?"

"Fever, lesions, vomiting." Abby turns to Kya, a grave expression on her face. "It's ARS."

"What's ARS?" Bellamy questions.

"Acute radiation sickness." Abby tells him before turning back to Luna. "When did the symptoms start?"

"Not sure. Right before the fish started dying." Luna mumbles.

"The fish are dying?" Kya exclaims.

"Floating on the sea to the horizon in every direction." Nyko states. Raven and Kya glance at one another when Nyko shares the information, it was closer then they thought it was.