xliii. going back home

"OUR PEOPLE ARE scared, Marcus

"OUR PEOPLE ARE scared, Marcus. We need to tell them something." Jaha states, walking into the office.

"We just spoke with Raven. When she gets here, we'll have all our essential personnel." Kane explains.

"How many spots does that leave us with?" Clarke questions.

"Including the essential personnel and the places that we're holding for the children under 16, that leaves us with 80." Abby sighs. Clarke, Kya, and Bellamy all glance between one another, thinking about the list.

"I can't believe we're talking about sending 364 of our own people to their deaths." Jaha exclaims.

"We're lucky they're giving us any space in this bunker at all." Clarke speaks up. "Kya may be the Commander now, but it's the end of the world. If they wanted to they could've kicked us out."

"Look. I don't like it any more than you do." Kane agrees with Jaha.

"Then let's fight this." Jaha presses.

"No. Any sort of resistance will cost us all our lives." Kane tells him. "Our best course of action is to hold a lottery for the remaining spots."

"It's not going to work, Marcus." Jaha leans forward on the desk.

Kane shakes his head. "It was your idea."

"That was for the chance to survive." Jaha snaps.

"And how is this any different?" Abby questions.

"Until minutes ago, our people believed they were safe." Jaha begins. "They let down their guard. They picked their bunks. They unpacked their bags. They imagined their futures. You try to rip that from them now, and, believe me, they will fight."

"No one's saying it's gonna be easy, but we need to make the people listen to reason." Kane exclaims.

"Someone still needs to get Raven." Bellamy chimes in. "I'd like to volunteer."

Clarke nods. "And I'll join you."

"Me too." Kya states, glancing at her co-leaders.

"Kya you can't leave, you're the Commander." Kane speaks up.

"Gaia hasn't put the flame in yet." Kya shakes her head. "They know I trust you, and for the most part they trust you, dad."

Kane is hesitant for a moment before he pulls Kya into a hug. "You be safe." Kane whispers before looking up at Clarke and Bellamy. "You all be safe. There will be a place for all of you when you get back."

"I'll meet you in the airlock." Abby tells them. They nod before exiting the room. One last rescue mission, Kya thinks, and then peace.

-

"At these radiation levels, any amount of exposure is harmful." Abby tells them as they put on hazmat suits. "Keep the suit sealed at all times. You have 23 hours until the death wave hits. On a good day, it takes 10 hours to get to the island and hours to get back. That doesn't leave you much room for error."