Consciousness Time Travel (Story Idea)

Basically, instead of using your other source of time travel in time travel related works of fiction like a time machine or magic he uses an ability that allows him to shoot his consciousness into his ancestors.

Over the years he tried the same thing but in reverse and that is shoot his consciousness into his descendants in the future but over the years it never works.

Why he thinks it doesn't work

His theories are as follows:

He dies childless

The future hasn't happened yet

He doesn't have any children yet

His ability doesn't work like that

His ability is not that powerful

He also keeps detailed notes of his travels but writes them in a way that people think he has a very detailed imagination or that he's creating/writing a work of fiction. He does this just in case people see or discover his notes and journals.

When he time travels he sends his consciousness into his ancestor and at the same time sends his ancestor's consciousness into his body.

Which involves a kind of self-defense mechanism

The self-defense mechanism:

When his ancestor's consciousness goes into his body, his body will go into a state of unconsciousness. Which prevents his ancestor(s) from seeing, hearing, or reading about the present (protagonist's present) or the future (ancestor's future).

It's easy for it to work and/or to do it that way when he sleeps.