001 contact

"Haru? I have a proposition for you..."

~ 3 days earlier ~

"It's been 10 years mum, is he ever coming home?" Star questions her mother as she perches on a stall at the kitchen counter.

"I don't know, sweetheart, I hope so," her mum looks at her feet, forlorn.

"When was the last time he contacted us? My birthday last year, right?" Star's mum can do nothing except nod at her daughter's correct statement. "And why aren't we allowed to contact him?" Star asks, crossing her arms over her chest in protest.

"Star, your father is a very busy man-"

"Can I at least have his number? Surely he has the time to reply to a text message?" Star interrupts her mother. Nodding once again, Laura passes her phone over to Star, and the 21 year-old begins copying the number from her mother's phone into hers. "Thanks, mum." Star jumps off of the stall and trudges back upstairs to her room.

She slumps herselfdown onto her bed and pulls her phone out of her back pocket, using her face IDto unlock it. Upon opening the messages app, she clicks on the top right-handcorner to start a new message. She types in the letter 'D' and her dad's namecomes up. Star begins typing the message she had planned out in her head whilstshe made her way from the kitchen to her room.

Star

Hi Dad, it's Haru. I know you're very busy with your company but, it's been over a year since we last had any contact with you. I'm just checking in to let you know that things are going well here. I graduated university this summer and I am currently looking for a job as an English teacher. I have a couple of interviews next week so hopefully they go well. Mum is doing really well too. She is still working at the hospital and was recently promoted to a band 7 nurse, the highest band! We always knew she could do it. Anyway, sorry for rambling on, you don't have to reply to this because I know how busy you are. I hope you're okay and the company is successful. Love you, Dad x

Star hits the send button after reading over her message for grammar and spelling errors. She watches as the 'Delivered' notification pops up on the screen under her message and breathes a small sigh of relief to know the number is right.

Opening up her laptop, Star goes onto Netflix and starts binge watching her favourites series again before being called for dinner by her mother. After eating, Star runs herself a bath and chooses a LUSH bathbomb to put in there. She lights a few candles and turns on her speaker, playing music from 2 of her favourite artists, Ariana Grande and Billie Eilish.

The rest of her evening is spent watching movies on the TV with her mother downstairs and anxiously checking her phone every 5 minutes, for some reason anticipating a response from her father.