018 the past

there are some sensitive topics in this chapter such as rape and abusive relationships. i want to try my best to make this chapter come from the heart and show that this is not a topic to joke about because it's serious and happens way more commonly than it should. if you ever need help, please do not hesitate to reach out. whether it's someone you know or a helpline of some sort, please make sure you get help if you are ever in a situation like this. you are not alone

****

3rd person POV

[5 years ago]

Haru had just finished school and had plans to go over to Zoe's and have a study session for their upcoming mock exams. She met up with Zoe outside her classroom and they walked towards the exit of the school. Upon leaving, Haru noticed a familiar figure leaning up against a black car. It was her boyfriend, Zach DiLuca. The couple had been dating for around a month. He was a year older and was in college. To sixteen year-old Haru, having a boyfriend that was maturer in age was a dream come true. Her mother had always told her that men naturally mature later than women so it is better to have a partner older than you when considering a serious relationship.

"Hey gorgeous," Zach walked over to her and kissed her forehead, embracing her in his arms. PDA was something that never came naturally to Haru and Zach accepted that and tried his best to make her feel comfortable around him in public. She admired him very much for that. 

"What are you doing here?" She said after the couple mutually pulled away.

"I came to surprise you. My parents are out tonight and I thought you might like to come and have dinner at my place. I'll cook?" He said, eyes gleaming with hope of her acceptance.

"I was going to go to Zo-"

"No it's okay, go have fun, we can study tomorrow," Zoe interrupted, leaving Haru with a quick hug before walking off into the distance.

"Let's go?" Zach asked.

Haru nodded her head and smiled. He took her hand in his and led her over to his car. It was a twenty minute car journey to Zach's house and the pair spent the majority of it in silence until Haru couldn't handle it anymore.

"Where are your parents tonight?"

"They're on a business trip. They'll be home tomorrow evening," Zach replied, keeping his eyes locked on the road.

When they arrived at his place, Zach opened the car door for Haru and led her into the house. The door had been left unlocked but after they had got inside, Zach locked it quickly.

"Why did you lock the door?" 

"We've been together for a month now sweetie, don't you think it's time we celebrated that?" He tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.