21) Just Let Go

Wednesday
3:15 pm

Stop. Don't go. I can explain.

She saw her getting further and further away, barely out of reach. She could—would—should have chased after her, but she was only slowing down the process.
Chaeyoung stood where she was as Irene placed her hand on her shoulder.
"Chae, lets go." She slowly pulled her away.

Mina, I'm sorry. Please don't leave. Not now.

Irene guide her out of the park, she let go and watched as the short girl stared at the entrance of the park. Unmoved, unfazed, she was still looking for her.
"Chae. Chaeyoung. Son Chaeyoung!" Irene called and finally she turned around.
"Do you think this is helping?" She shook the girl.
"Huh..."
"Open your eyes! She's broke up with you, this attitude wouldn't get us anywhere!" When Irene stopped abruptly, she noticed that Chaeyoung covered her face with her arm.

"I... shouldn't have done that. I was just speaking my mind."
"N-No, I... I agree with you. Just leave me here for a moment."
Irene did what she was told, without looking back she left Chaeyoung as she was. The young girl wiped her hidden tears, her sleeve absorbed all of it as it left a wet patch.

She indeed wanted to be alone. For a few more minutes she took in the scenery in the park, looking up into the sky as dawn broke.
Then she went home, she didn't want Jihyo to worry her once again and rolled her sleeves up and walked inside the house.

"You're back, did anything interesting happen?" Jihyo asked with a big smile on her face.
Chaeyoung tried to smile, "No, it was normal." She then walked to her room, slumped and tired mainly because of her crying.

Later that night, the short girl moved slowly through the darkness and into the kitchen.
Once the fridge door opened, her eyes darted towards the green glass bottle distinctly known to Koreans as Soju.
'Drinking my sorrows away.' She didn't take one, but a few bunch of them.
They were her friends as she said, bottle after bottle she kept consuming them.

Just above her, Jihyo heard all the clunking of bottles and faint slurring. She got up and walked down and saw her cousin on the sofa with a bunch of unopened bottles on the table.
"Chae? What are you doing? I know it's Wednesday night, but you can't be drinking all of this on your own?" Jihyo gathered the bottles and started to put them back into the fridge. That's when she noticed that a few empty bottles were already in the trash.

She heard the short girl quietly sob.
She sighed, "Chaeyoung... what happened today?"
Chaeyoung didn't respond, instead she passed out.
"I guess you had a hard time in university?" Jihyo gave a motherly smile and laid her comfortable position before heading back to bed.