32) I Promised You

Such relief.
They were finally on good terms. The trio was back together. Jihyo sighed in relief as she went upstairs with her friends who seemed quite happy.
"How are they?" Nayeon asked as soon as she saw her.
"They'll be okay." Jihyo replied.
"Thanks goodness, I didn't know what'll happen if they didn't make up." Jeongyeon sighed.
"Yeah." Jihyo sighed, she flopped onto the sofa.
This reminded her of her when her family first took Chaeyoung in, she wasn't like this before. That's because she met Dahyun and Tzuyu, they changed her view on life and encouraged her.

Flashback

It has been 4 years since the death of Mr and Mrs Son, their daughter, Son Chaeyoung was the only survivor of the crash.

After she first met Tzuyu and Dahyun, her first impression wasn't the friendliest. She pushed them away, just like she did with everyone.
They held the memorial that her Aunty planned then, Chaeyoung went back to the old office where her parents worked.

It was the evening, a lot of the workers didn't notice her. She got up to the top floor and entered her parents' office.

Empty. No one in it, just piles of folders and boxes. They didn't move them, after these 4 years.
"Screw this." Chaeyoung growled.
With the anger and insecurities she held inside, she snapped.
Chaeyoung picked up and threw a box onto the floor, scattering all the papers and folders. It was a like confetti, just not something to celebrate.

She pushed the tables over with all her might and stomped over the computer monitors. It cracked, just like her heart.

There were footsteps coming towards the door. It flung open and guards tried to pull her out of the room, but Chaeyoung persisted to do more damage.
They soon finally got her to calm down and took her to the waiting area.
The manager of the building called her Aunt, accompanied by her daughter, Park Jihyo.

When they arrived, Jihyo's mother hugged the small child and went to talk to the manager. There, Jihyo sat next to her.
She saw that she was on the verge of crying.
Jihyo wrapped her arms around her, she wasn't that close to her. Chaeyoung always tried to conceal herself from everyone, when she tried to talk to her, she would give a simple answer or no answer at all.
This time...this time she'll make it up to her after all these years.

"I can't let them go." Chaeyoung sobbed.
"I know you can't, but I'll help you go through it." Jihyo stroke her hair and gripped her tighter.
"I-I'm sorry."
"No, don't be." Jihyo felt something within her, she must be protective over her cousin whatever it takes she will make her happy again.

"I'll make you a promise." Jihyo began.
"A promise?" Chaeyoung questioned.
"I'll promise to protect you. Like a bodyguard." She smiled at the young girl who looked her with teary eyes.
"W-Why?"
"Because I want to make the world better with you, I want to see you smile again."

And that's what she did, she saw her cousin smile. She became friends with the two most important people in her life and now she's with a girl that she dearly loves.
.
.
.
Chaeyoung opened the laptop, she thought of all the possible words she thought her parents would use.
She searched through the boxes and even through work documents, but none seemed to stuck out.
'Dammit.' She thought, "Think, what could it be."

"Maybe something subtle, a memory? A precious one?" A closed her eyes, she remembered her parents by her side.
'What could it be?'
Then, she distinctly remember just a week before the car accident.

"I want an English name!" She shouted.
Her parents laughed, "You already have a name, why another one?"
"An English name sounds cooler." Chaeyoung hopped up and down.
"Okay, then what would it be? Katherine? Annabelle?" He mother smiled.
"How about Katarina?" Her father spoke.

"Ooh Katarina?" Chaeyoung beamed.
"I guess so, that is your baptismal after all."
"Huh?! That's my baptismal name? What's does that mean?"
"It's the name we gave you when you were baptised." Her mother held her hand.
"Oh... Katarina, I like it."

"Katarina?" Chaeyoung mumbled, "Could that be it?"
She stared at the screen, clearly she spoke, "Katarina."
It took a second.
'Access granted.'
She did it, the laptop was now opened to her disposal.

The first image that popped up was her parents; it was a video. She didn't hesitate to play.

"Okay... so, Chaeyoung if you find this video, then you've probably found this laptop in our office. This is just our own advise to help you with the company."

Her parents rambled on as Chaeyoung's eyes began to water, she slowly reached out to the screen and smiled. She always hoped to be with them once again and wanting to embrace them like she did as a child.

It would never happen, but to see them before they died... she wanted to say these words to them, "I love you."