Chapter Forty Four

Severus creaked open the dormitory door, Harry's snores evident from across the room. Severus gently set Draco down, and made his way to Harry. He was still shirtless, and Severus' heart plummeted. He hoped what he was hearing was wrong, but it wasn't. He just hoped it wasn't too late.

He rested a gentle hand on Harry's shoulder, and shook his slightly, "Harry, can you wake up for me?"

Harry shot up and pulled the blankets to cover his upper body, "What do you want?" His voice was shaking, and his shoulders trembling.

"I'm here to help you." Severus could already tell this situation was going to turn sour, but still, he kept his voice soft, but stern.

"I dont need your help!" Harry's voice was raspy, but his face was twisted with anger. "Get out!"

"Harry," Severus realised this was a lot worse than what he was prepared for, "I need to look at your scars. If you relatives-"

"You don't know anything, get out!" Still Severus refused to budge, and Harry reached for his wand, pointing it at his professor.

Severus stood up and back, momentarily reaching for his own wand, when a little cry was sounded out behind them.

Harry's face instantly softened, "Draco?"

"I-I'm sorry." He hiccuped, wiping his eyes on his sleeve. Severus stepped to the side, "I got S-Sev'rus cause you was hurted a-and," another small hiccup and a quiet sob, "I din' wan you t-to be hurted."

"Oh no darling, you don't have to be sorry, come here," Harry dropped his wand and the blankets, holding his arms out for Draco. Severus could see the full extent of his injuries, and he was blown away.

Draco stumbled over, and Harry made quick work of pulling him onto the bed. He kissed the side of Draco's head, "I'm just being silly, okay? You've got nothing to worry about. Thank you for getting Severus."

The small boy looked up with watery eyes, "B-but you were angy- I dun w-wan you be angy at Sev'rus."

"I'm not angry at Severus. I just got a little scared because he woke me up. I'm always a little grumpy in the mornings, aren't I?"

Draco giggled a little bit, "You gon' let Sev'rus help you, den?"

Harry sighed and looked between the little boy on his lap and the concerned professor at the foot of his bed, "Yes, I'll let Severus help me, love."

Draco cuddled into Harry, "Thanks you,"

Harry kissed the side of his head, "Anything for you, my sweet. Now," Harry reached across to the bedside table where Draco's dummy was, and handed it to him. "Why don't you sit here, hm? So I can talk to Severus."

Draco nodded, and Harry stood up, turning and placing Draco in his previously occupied spot. He found the discarded colouring book and crayons, handing them to the small boy.

Harry stared at his professor, and strided across the room to sit down on Draco's bed.

Severus sat beside him, "I won't ask questions, I'd just like to give you a look over, see of I can reduce any scarring," he spoke quietly, and Harry nodded.

"What can you do about this one?" He asked suddenly, laying back so the full scar came into view. Even Severus felt a pang of pain at that one.

"Words are quite hard to cover over, because of their distinct shape. I can try, though. May I ask, what tool was used to create these scars?" He began working through his medical bag, pulling out various potions and salves.

"Well that one was created with a camping switch knife," he briefly looked over himself, "The others are a bit blurry, I dont remember much. A lot of them were probably done with a belt. The big patchy one on my left arm was hit bacon grease." Severus looked at it briefly, it was horribly discoloured and the skin was uneven.

"He hasn't hit me bad for years, though. Well, there was a couple times, but he generally stopped when I was bout eight. There was a few times, but nothing too severe. My aunt stopped talking to me when I was eight, too. She can't stand to look at me."

"Petunia always was a sour one, I'm afraid." Severus replied, letting the boy talk. The scarring didn't seem to be reducing. "Harry, I don't mean to poke, but did your uncle do more than hit and burn you?"

"I know what you're asking, and he didn't. He threatened it, but I like to believe he would never."

Severus nodded, "You haven't been hit since you were eight?"

Harry shook his head, "There was a few times, when he was overly angry. My cousin never stopped, but all they really did was kick me, and cause bruising. He never caused me severe pain." Harry stiffened slightly, "Besides, right after Hagrid took me to Diagon Ally. He was really angry after that."

Severus cursed under his breath, "Dumbledore assured me you were safe and well loved."

Harry had to snort at that, "Word of advice, professor, never trust him. It will end in your death."

Severus looked up, anger slight on his face, "How do you know that?"

"I can read minds professor. Peoples darkest desires are above their heads, surrounded by blinking lights. I know everything."

Severus nodded, turning back to task at hand, "Harry I'm afraid this scar isn't fading. Would you like me to try others?"

Harry nodded, looking at the scar once again, "I'll probably get a skin graft or something when I'm older. Do you reckon you could do my arm? It feels nasty."

Severus nodded, turning his attention to the boys arm. "If you aren't on Dumbledores side, who's side are you on?"

"I think you know the answer to that sir. Tall, dark, Lord Voldemort. Except I call him Tom."

Severus stilled, "You've had contact with him?"

"Sir, I've had contact with him since I was five. Why do you think I'm so smart? Sure as hell didn't learn that from my relatives."

Severus nodded dumbly, "The scar is almost gone," Harry looked over a said his thanks, "You know where Tom is?"

Harry nodded, "I do. Let's do is this up and you can talk to him, if you'd like?"

He got a nod and then worked in almost silence.

-----

Another chapter unedited for you all. Lockdown is killing me.