Chapter Twenty one

Maaga siyang nagising kinabukasan. Kumurap kurap siya upang tanggalin ang natitirang antok sa katawan. When her vision cleared, her eyes immediately snapped at her right hand which Chase was holding last night. It's as if she could still feel his hand on hers. Gaano katagal ba nitong hawak ang kamay niya kagabi? Did he ever let go of her hand last night?

She sighed. What the hell is she thinking so early in the morning?

She looked down and saw Chase's bedding neatly folded at the corner. Kinuha niya ang cellphone at tinitigan ang oras doon. Five thirty in the morning. Bumangon siya at nag-inat. Iginala niya ang paningin sa paligid pagkatapos. Chase is no where in sight.

Gamit ang cellphone bilang flashlight, pumunta siya sa CR para umihi, maghilamos at mag-sipilyo. Isinuot niya ang jacket na nakapatong sa upuan bago lumabas ng kwarto.

She saw him seating at the porch. Nakapasak sa tenga nito ang earphones habang nakatingin sa kawalan. He looks deep in thought. Lumapit siya at saka umupo sa tabi nito. She made sure to put enough space between them before she silently looked at the brightening sky. Sunrise is approaching.

"Good morning." Came his deep voice.

Mula sa kalangitan ay nilingon niya ito. Wala na ang nakapasak na earphones sa tenga nito. He gave her a soft smile before staring at the view in front of them. For a moment, that simple smile made her stare at him longer than necessary.

Tumikhim siya at saka mabilis na nagbawi ng tingin ng mapansing kanina pa siya nakatitig dito.

"Good morning." Sagot niya bago ibinalik ang paningin sa kalangitan.

"Is it beautiful?"

She was taken aback by his question. Muli siyang napalingon dito at bahagyang nagulat sa nakitang ekspresyon sa mukha nito. He has this longing look in his eyes as he stares at the sky. It wasn't a sad look, just the kind of longing that makes anyone who sees it feel... sad. And surprisingly, her included.

"The sunrise?"

Tumango ito.

She sighed.

"Well..." Muli niyang ibinalik ang paningin sa kalangitan. "It's beautiful..."

"How so?"

He looked at her with so much curiosity in his eyes. Bahagya pa siyang napangiti ng mahimigan ang pagkasabik sa tinig nito. He sounds playful. Like a kid who saw something new and interesting for the first time in his life.

"Its rays a beautiful golden orange that blankets the trees, flowers, soil and leaves. It looks warm and gentle. Serene and calming. At dahil nasa bundok tayo... mas lalong gumanda ang repleksyon ng sinag ng araw sa berdeng kapaligiran. This sight is simply one of the most beautiful things."

"Hmm." He hummed with a happy smile on his face.

"What? Haven't you seen sunrise like this before?" She meant it as a joke but when she saw how serious his expression was, her smile instantly vanished. "Wait, you mean..." She trailed off.

Ilang segundo itong tahimik bago nagsalita.

"I know I have witnessed many sunrises before, it's just that... I don't remember what it looked like."

Natigilan siya. "What do you mean you don't remember?" Kunot noong tanong niya. Her curiosity was peaked.

"There are some things I don't remember since the day I woke up. It includes the life I had before the accident and some sceneries that my brain refused to remember."

"Sceneries like what?"

Tumingin ito sa kanya. "The ocean, the sunrise and the sunset." Tipid itong ngumiti sa kanya pagkatapos. "I remember how a rain and a lightning looks like though. I remember it very clearly."