Chapter Forty seven

"Isa sa mga tauhan ni Martin ang nasa kamay ngayon ng mga tauhan ni Mason. I already made him confessed to where his boss is. Mason's men are already searching for him so all we have to do is wait."

"While we wait, I suggest you remain here with Ayen for the meantime. Mas kailangan ka niya dito."

Chase nodded. "I'll talk to my secretary. I'll endorse my patients to one of the hospital's neurosurgeons."

"You do that. How about you, Ayen?"

Nag-angat siya ng tingin. She'd been gnawing her lips while the two are coming up with agreements. Her attention was somewhere else that she failed to notice the two pair of eyes staring at her.

"I'm sorry what?"

"We think it would be better if we stay here for the meantime." Chase answered.

"Well, how long will it take before you sort this all out?"

Chase held her hand. "The men are doing their best in locating Martin. For now, all we can do is wait."

She sighed. "I have to go back to New York. I told you about my upcoming concerto, didn't I?" Wika niya sa mahinang tinig.

"I know. And trust me, you will play in that concerto. This problem will all be over before you know it." Chase reassured her.

Marahan siyang tumango. "I guess I'll have to do my practice here then."

"I'll be happy to serve as one of your viewers while you practice."

Napanguso siya. "It's just practice silly."

"So? This will be the first time I'm going to witness you play without worrying you might see me watching you."

Kumunot ang noo niya. Then she remembered he said he used to go to all the countries she had her concertos in just to witness her play in secret.

She bit her lip. "Fine. I'll let you watch."

Nakarinig sila ng pagtikhim. Agad siyang namula ng mapagtantong narinig ng kanyang ama ang usapan nila.

"Chase, can you leave us for a moment please?"

Humigpit ang pagkakahawak niya sa t-shirt nito ng marinig ang tinuran ng kanyang ama. Chase gave her a reassuring smile.

"It'll be fine." He said to her before looking at her father. "Sure." Anito sa kanyang ama.

Ng makalabas si Chase ng study room ay saka pa lang muling nagsalita ang kanyang ama.

"I know you have many questions." Anito bago naglakad papunta sa liquor shelf na nasa sulok ng study rooom nito. Binuksan nito ang isang bote ng whiskey at saka nagsalin sa baso. Inisang tungga nito ang laman niyon bago muling humarap sa kanya. "Ask me all you want to know."

She scoffed. "You know very well what I want to know."

Her father smiled. His smile never reaching his eyes though. Bumuntong hininga ito.

"Before your brother was killed..." Anito sa wakas. "He put everything he owned in your name. That action made you Martin's next target. We knew he'd be coming after you and we couldn't let that happen so we made a plan."

"A plan that got me marrying Chase and eventually put his life in danger." Galit niyang wika. "How could you do that?" Anas niya. "Wala siyang kinalaman sa problema ng pamilyang ito!"

"We had no choice. With your brother gone... someone had to look after you. I'm old. I could only protect you as my strenght goes."

Binigyan niya ito ng isang nanunuyang tingin. "You never once protected me. Ibinigay mo ang responsibilidad mong protektahan ako sa ibang tao. You gave it to mom and when she died, you gave the responsibility to kuya Cayden. Ng mamatay si kuya, ibinigay mo iyon kay Chase." She chuckled humorlessly. "You put everyone's life in danger just so you could save yours. You are selfish like that." Marahas niyang paratang.