Chapter Forty eight

She closed the folder with a heavy sigh. Tahimik niyang nilisan ang study room at saka binagtas ang daan patungo sa kanyang kwarto. She slowly opened the door. The room is completely dim. Tanging ang lampshade lang na nakapatong sa gilid ng kanyang kama ang naiwang nakabukas. The bed is empty. Halatang hindi pa nahihigaan. Maayos pa ring nakasalansan sa ibabaw niyon ang kumot at unan.

Iginala niya ang paningin sa paligid. Her eyes stopped at a silhouette standing outside her balcony. Dahan dahan siyang lumapit doon. Ang simoy ng panggabing hangin ang agad na sumalubong sa kanya. She hugged her arms around her torso to give herself warmth. Then she stared at him. Nanatili lang siyang tahimik na nakamasid sa nakatalikod nitong pigura. She didn't make a sound. She just... stared.

Muling binalikan ng kanyang isip ang mga nabasang impormasyon tungkol dito. Looking at him now while knowing what he had gone through in his childhood makes her all the more amazed and astonished by him. How he got through it all... how he had dealt with it makes her realize how strong this man really is...

Ngayon niya naintindihan kung bakit ipinagkatiwala siya ng kanyang ama at kapatid dito. They both knew what Chase is capable of. They both knew Chase would protect her with his life... Just like how he had protected her by jumping in front of a bullet just to save her yesterday.

He took a deep breath before he spoke. "You're back..."

"You know I'm here?"

He turned to face her. "I knew the moment you entered the room and when you stepped outside the balcony. I smelled your scent."

"Oh, violets."

"Hm. I'm glad you haven't changed it. I have always love the scent of violets on you."

"If I changed my scent, it woudn't be me anymore." Wika niya bago ito tinabihan. Ipinatong niya ang dalawang braso sa railings ng balkonahe at saka humarap sa madilim na kalangitan. "I have always valued consistency in my life. Pag gusto ko, gusto ko. Pag ayaw ko, ayaw ko. For example, my love for the violin and my hate for my father." Then she looked at him. "You're the only excemption you know."

He frowned. "How so?"

Her lips curled up a little. "It all started when I first met you when you were in a coma. I didn't like you back then... moreso when I first saw you here in our house. Pakiramdam ko kasi noon, inaagaw mo sa akin ang mga taong mahal ko."

"You were childish, I understand that." He chuckled.

Napasimangot siya. "Yeah. I was petty and immature like that..."

"Hm, petty but cute."

She rolled her eyes at him. "Paano mo naman nasabi? Hindi mo nga ako nakikita noon."

He just shrugged. "People talk you know. I learned a lot of things through them."

Hinarap niya ito. "So? What did they tell you about me?"

"That you're beautiful."

She smiled.

"Beautiful but also stubborn and ill-tempered. They actually told me to beware about you."

Biglang nawala ang ngiti niya. "They told you that?"

"Ah-huh."

Napasimangot siya. "Eh di sana lumayo ka na lang?"

He looked at her for a moment. Amusement was on his face.

"Tss." Muli siyang humarap sa kadiliman.

"How can I do that when you already charmed your way to my heart?"

Mabilis siyang napalingon dito. She was clearly taken aback. Biglang kumabog ng malakas ang puso niya!