Chapter Thirty seven

"I want a divorce."

"No."

Iyon ang sagot nito. Isang mariin, matigas at pinal na 'No'.

Isang malalim na buntong hininga ang pinakawalan niya.

"Chase... it's been almost ten years. We both know this is where it's going to end the moment we signed those damn papers in that study room." Napalabi siya. "Panahon na para tigilan natin 'to. This is getting nowhere."

Chase looked at her for a moment. Walang mababasa na kahit na anong emosyon sa mukha nito. Walang galit, pagkainis o kahit na konting pagkagulat sa mukha nito. Hindi tuloy niya alam kung ano ang tumatakbo sa isip nito ngayon.

Bumaba ang mga mata nito sa wedding ring na nasa daliri nito. He began playing with the gold band using his thumb.

"What's there to end?" Seryosong turan nito pagkaraan. Ang mga mata'y nanatiling nakatutok sa wedding ring.

"What?"

Finally, he set his eyes on her.

"I'm asking what's there to end, when we haven't even started yet?"

"Chase..." She warned.

"No..." Iiling iling na turan nito. "I don't get it, Cayenne. I gave you time because I knew that was what you needed. Ten years is a very long time, but I let you. Now it's enough. It's about time we face this marriage. Both of us. It's about time you stop running away." Kalmadong turan nito.

She clenched her teeth so hard she thought they might shatter!

Tingin ba nito hindi niya hinaharap ang problema? She is facing it for pete's sake! The fact that she came back is enough reason that she's ready to face and end it! She just asked him for a divorce! Alin ba ang hindi nito naiintindihan sa gusto niyang mangyari? Her solution is what's best for them both!

"I'm facing it." She said in a gritted teeth.

"You coming home after almost ten years asking for divorce is your way of facing it?" He scoffed.

Ikinuyom niya ang dalawang kamao. "Yes! Because that is what's best for us! We will never work, Chase! We are only going to make each other miserable! Iyon ba ang gusto mo?!"

"Stop talking about our marriage like it's a lost cause, Cayenne. And don't you dare tell me what's best for me. You have no idea." Ang mariin at nagbababala nitong wika na ikinatigil niya.

So he wants to play difficult? Fine... did he think she came home asking for a divorce without a damn card in her hand?

Ipinatong niya sa harap nito ang folder na ibinigay sa kanya ni Detective Hart. Chase looked at it for a moment before he moved his hands to open it.

She watched him stare at the picture in his hand. She waited for any reaction, any... but his face showed nothing. Ni hindi man lang ito nagulat o nataranta na alam niya ang mga pinaggagagawa nito sa loob ng halos sampung taon! Na alam niya ang pambababae nito! She suddenly had this overwhelming feeling to slap his face! Naikuyom niya ang kamao upang pigilan ang sarili!

"Sign the divorce papers."

He crossed his arms over his chest. "Or else?" Taas ang isang kilay na tanong nito sa kanya.

"Or else I will sue you for adultery!" She hissed in a low voice.

"Adultery." Ulit nito.

"If that's the only way for you to agree to it, I won't hesitate to do it." Matigas niyang turan.

Bumuntong hininga ito.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, wife."

She snickered. "And why not? You're being difficult. I thought the years taught you something but seeing you now? I clearly think it didn't."