The Start of Journeys

When I arrived I was greeted by Lindir. "Princess of Lothlórien" The tall brown haired elv said and bowed. "I need to speak with Lord Elrond" I said as I climbed off my horse and patted his head. "It is urgent" I said. He nodded. I walked up the stairs trailing behind Lindir until we reached a balcony. I waited for him to bring back Elrond and stood looking out at Imladris. It was a big beautiful city. The waterfalls could be seen and heard from anywhere. The leaves on the many trees has started to turn yellow and orange. "Mellon nin" I heard from behind. I turned around to see Elrond. "Hir nin" I said and bowed. "What is this urgent matter you speak of?" Elrond asked as he stood next to me. "Ada and Naneth want to marry me off to Legolas. I made a deal that if you gave us your blessing I would marry him. If not I would be allowed to be free. Please Elrond, we are family and friends. Don't give us your blessing. I want to be of my own free will and learn the ways of a blacksmith" I said. Elrond kept quite, taking in everything I said. "And who will you learn the ways of a blacksmith from?" Elrond asked. "Your people and the dwarves" I said making Elrond's eyes go wide. "The dwarves will not teach an elven woman. They will deny you" He said and shook his head. I knew they would turn me away, but I could be just as stubborn as dwarves. "I could pass as an Edain" I told Elrond as he looked at me. "I deny your blessing" He said and turned away from me.

      "You shall stay here and learn from Beinion" Elrond told me. "I'll send word to Lothlórien" I said and whistled. A small blue jay flew by and landed on the balcony. I laid my hand flat on the balcony and let the bird walk onto my finger before bringing him closer to my face. "Tell the Lord of Lothlórien, Lord Elrond denies blessing. His daughter shall stay in Imladris for now" I told the small blue jay. He whistled and flew off. "Tomorrow I shall take you to meet Beinion. For now get some rest in your usual room" Elrond told me before leaving. I got my bags off my horse and let him wander off to the others.

      In the morning I pulled my hair back into a single braid and met Elrond for breakfast. "Aran, this is Beinion" Elrond said as a tall green eyed elv walked over. "Lady of the elements" He said and bowed. "Lord of the blacksmith" I joked and bowed back. Beinion laughed and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Shall we get started?" He asked. "Better late than never" I joked as we started walking.

      Over the next month I leaned from Beinion and perfected the skill. I decided it was time to leave and learn from the dwarves. I threw on my blueish green cloak given to me by Elrond and pulled the hood on when I mounted my horse. I made my way the blue mountains, my horse sprinting the entire way. I met a dwarve who offered to teach me. His name was Kili and he was a young dwarve. He told me of his uncle, Thorin Oakenshield, but never once did I revile to him that I was an elven princess. I started working on a fine blade for the man I grew to respect through stories. "Please give this to your uncle. It is made of rare material and shall glow blue if near orcs. A man of high respect in my eyes deserves a respectable sword" I said handing Kili the blade encased in leather.

     Three months passed since I left my home and I decided it was time to return to Lothlórien. I was only back for a month when Mithrandir visited. "I'm looking for a 15th member" Mithrandir told me as we walked through the forest together. "15th member for what?" I asked confused. "A journey. For Thorin Oakenshield to reclaim his land of the lonely mountain" Gandalf said as I nodded. "Will you join the company?" He asked. "A journey...." I said letting my voice trail off. "I shall come" I said making Mithrandir smile. "We meet in Bag End in the home of a Mister Bilbo Baggins in 3 days. Look for a mark on the door and knock" Mithrandir said. {"Speak to no one of this journey"} He told me. I nodded as we walked back home. "I shall leave tomorrow" I said to Mithrandir. "Have you spoken to Azog?" Mithrandir asked. I felt my heart leap in my chest at the mention of his name. "No" I said and looked down at the forest floor. "I've only been back for a month. When I returned Azog was gone" I said catching Mithrandir's attention. "Gone?" He asked. I nodded. "Searching" I told him. "For what?" Mithrandir said and stopped walking. I shrugged. "No one would tell me" I said as I looked up at him. "It's very dangerous to go into orc territory" Mithrandir said angrily. I shrugged again and kept walking.

      The next day I had all my things packed on my horse and left. I only told Ada and Naneth I was going on a journey and didn't know when I would be back. This time there was no argument over me leaving. I had a feeling that Naneth already knew of my journey. I made my way to bag end and arrived late on the 3rd day. I easily found a green door with a mark on it. I dismounted my horse and patted him on the head. "Don't go wandering off Odran. I'm not too sure hobbits are fond of ponies" I told him. I walked up to the door and took a deep breath as I reached my hand up to knock.