The Start

_____________________________________________________________

I'm not really liking the way I ended this chapter so I might change it later on when I think of a better way to end it. But I'm excited for the next chapter. New point of view ;) wink wink

_____________________________________________________________

"Lassie. Wake up" a voice said to me. I grunted and opened my eyes to see a short dwarve with white hair kneeling besides me. "It's time for breakfast before we leave" Balin said as I sat up. I grunted again as I rolled up my bed and tucked it into my bag. I threw on my cloak again and pulled the hood on. It was way too early in the morning for me. At least breakfast would wake me up. When we were cleaning up our plates Balin brought me a folded paper, an ink jar, and a quill. "What is this?" I asked as I unfolded the long paper. "The contract you must sign to come with us" Balin said as I dipped the end of the quill in the ink jar. I signed the bottom and handed it back. "You aren't going to read some of it over?" He asked. I shook my head. "I'm committed to this quest and I shall come. Even if the leader is the most stubborn dwarve I've ever met" I said making Balin smile. "Welcome to the company of Thorin Oakenshield" Balin said and shook my hand. We left the hobbit hole and mounted our ponies. This is where we began our journey. "Where is Bilo?" I asked just noticing that he was missing as we rode towards the edge of bag end. "If he is coming he will show" Kili said as he rode on the side of myself. "I doubt he will" Thorin said from in front of us. "Would you like to make a bet on it master Thorin" I said and smiled as I brought my pony closer to his. He looked at me and smiled. "It's a deal" Thorin said and turned his attention back to the road ahead. Everyone bet on whether or not Bilbo would show. It was only matter of time before the hobbit would come. The company had forgotten all about Bilbo when we heard someone yelling. "Wait! I signed it!" We heard from behind us. Bilbo came running towards us and handed the contract over to Balin. We had all pulled our ponies to a stop and looked at Bilbo. He looked it over before folding it up again. "Everything appears to be in order. Welcome master Baggins to the company of Thorin Oakenshield" Balin said and winked at the hobbit. "Give him a pony" Thorin comanded. Bilbo refused but was lifted onto the pony. Everyone was passing and tossing bags of coins between them. I sped up my pony so I was by Thorin's side. "Pay up" I said and winked. He handed me the bag and shook his head. "I can't believe I lost to a woman" Thorin mumbled. "Not just a woman. An elven women remember?" I teased as Thorin's face turned into a solid expression. "Thank you very much" I said and let my horse fall back to the middle of Kili and Fili. "Looks like you've made our uncle mad" Fili joked. I smiled and laughed. "Never bet against an elv" I said to the brothers.

When it was beginning to get dark we stopped and made camp. Everyone had laid out their beds on the hard flat rocks. We ate and sat around deciding who would take the first watch shift. Bilbo got up to feed his pony an apple after the discussion. There was a loud screech that startled the entire company. "What was that?" Bilbo asked as he looked at Fili, Kili, and I. "Orcs" Kili said. "Orcs?" Bilbo asked. I noticed Thorin sit up and look around. "Throat cutters. They'll be dozens of them out there. Lowlands are crawling with them" Fili told Bilbo. "They strike in the wee small hours when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet, no screams, just lots of blood" Kili said. The brothers looked at eachother and laughed as I shook my head. "You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke" Thorin said walking through the camp as he looked at his nephews. "We didn't mean anything by it" Kili said ashamed. "No you didn't. You know nothing of the world" Thorin said upset as he reached the edge of the cliff we were on. "Don't mind him laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate most" Balin said. My eyes moved from Thorin to Balin as he told the story of Thorin and the pale orc. "And the pale orc? What happened to him?" Bilbo asked after the story was done. "Slunk back to the hole once he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago" Thorin said as he walked to the fire. I looked at Mithrandir. {"He isn't dead. You should know better than anyone els"} Mithrandir told me. {"What's that supposed to mean?"} I asked. {"I am no fool Arandur. I know you met with Azog on more than one occasion"} Mithrandir said. I turned my head and looked to the fire.
Azog was someone I didn't want on my mind at the moment. I wanted to keep the thought of him as far away as possible on this journey. I didn't need him, or anyone for that matter, to be slowing me down. I stood and walked over to the edge of the cliff, passing Thorin on the way. I looked out at the trees across the way and saw the fimilar sight of orcs. "Orcs" I whispered to myself. "What was that lassie?" Dwalin asked as he stood beside me. "Nothing" I said and shook my head. Dwalin stood looking out at the trees with me. "What are you looking at?" He asked confused. I laughed and turned towards the tall dwarve. "Nothing of importance" I said before walking away leaving him confused. "This one troubles me. I think she's seeing things" Dwalin told Bofur. "She's an elv. What do you expect" Was his only response as the two dwarves looked at eachother even more confused. "I can hear you. I'm an elv remember? I have amazing hearing" I told the two of them and rolled my eyes as I sat next to Kili and Fili. "Dwarves right?" Fili joked and rolled his eyes. "Shut up" I said laughing. I climbed into my small bed and pulled the blanket over my head. "You okay?" Kili asked as he sat next to me. "I'm fine. Just tired already" I mumbled from under my blanket. "We have a long journey ahead. Tiredness will be common. Get used to it" I heard Thorin say. I rolled my eyes again. "Dwarves, why am I on a journey with dwarves? Out of all the people. Orcs would've been better" I said and rolled over on to my side. "It'll get better lassie" Balin said. I closed my eyes and feel asleep with the thoughts of a terrible journey ahead.