The Lonely Mountain

Music started playing and we left on the boat. I sat next to Bilbo and closed my eyes. "What are you doing?" Bilbo asked. I opened my eyes. {"Searching for Tauriel, master hobbit"} I said and smiled. {"Who is she and why do you need her?"} Bilbo asked. {"She was one of the elves with us in Mirkwood and she can save Kili. She is his one"} I replied. {"How do you know she is his one?} Bilbo asked. {"Master Baggins, you ask a lot of questions"} I said and laughed a little. {"I'm sorry"} Bilbo said. {"No appoligy is needed. I was merely stating a fact. I would be more than willing to answer any questions you have"} I replied making Bilbo smile. {"You can tell if two people are a true pair by the atmosphere around when they meet eyes"} I told Bilbo. {"Can anyone tell if two people are a true couple?"} Bilbo said asking another question. I shook my head. {"Most elves can tell, a few dwarves if they themselves have found their one, most wizards, and most magical beings"} I told him. {"What about hobbits?"} He asked. {"Not that I know of, master Baggins. But then again you are the first hobbit I have actually met"} I said making him smile. {"Now may I ask you a question?"} I asked Bilbo. He nodded. {"Why do you hide the ring?"} I asked suprising Bilbo. {"What ring?"} He asked as he played with it in his pocket. {"The ring in your hand"} I replied. {"When did you find out I had it?"} Bilbo asked. {"When you returned to the company from the goblins"} I told him. {"Who els knows?"} He asked. {"No one"} I simply said. {"But that ring is filled with evil, it only responds to one master, and he is not strong enough to fight on his own. He uses the orcs. If you are to use that ring only use it in emergencies. It will corrupt you Bilbo Baggins"} I said. "Thank you" Bilbo said and bowed slightly. "My pleasure master Baggins" I said and smiled. "For what?" Thorin asked. "For her warning about the dragon when we reach the door" Bilbo lied. I smiled at Thorin as he sat down on my other side and wrapped his arm around me. I closed my eyes and placed my head on Thorin's shoulder. {"Tauriel"} I called out finally finding her. {"Mellon nin. It has been a long time"} She said. {"Too long Tauriel"} I said as I kept my eyes closed. {"Why are you contacting me like this?"} Tauriel asked. {"I know Kili is your one. He is injured and is staying in a house in Lake-Town"} I told her. {"Who's house?"} The elv asked. {"His name is Bard. You will need to find athelas for the poison. Please take care of him. He is my one's nephew"} I told Tauriel. {"Be safe, queen under the mountain"} Tauriel told me. I opened my eyes and looked up at Thorin. "There it is" Bilbo said as he looked at us. "There what is master hobbit?" Thorin asked as he looked at Bilbo. "That look you two give eachother, the true pair thing is very obvious between you two" Bilbo said making me smile. I placed my hand on Thorin's chest as he looked down at me again. He bent his head down and gave me a small kiss on the top of my head.

      We left the boat once we reached shore and started on foot. We got to the edge of a cliff and looked down at the remains of Dale. "Wait. Is this the overlook? Gandalf said to meet him here, on no account were we to " Bilbo said before he was cut off by Thorin. "Do you see him? We have no time to wait upon the wizard. We're on our own. Come" Thorin said and kept walking. We followed him as we searched the door. "Anything?" Thorin asked. "Nothing!" Dwalin replied. "If the map is true, the door lies directly above us" Thorin said as we looked around. "Up here!" Bilbo yelled as he found steps leading up. "You have keen eyes master Baggins" Thorin told Bilbo as he walked towards the steps. Bilbo climbed up first and I started to follow him. Thorin grabbed my arm. "Be careful my azyungal" Thorin told me and let go of my arm as I nodded. The steps were unbelievably hard to climb. I knew if I was having trouble the dwarves were struggling even more. "This must be it. The hidden door" Thorin said as he ran over to a flat surface of the rocks. "Let all those who doubted us" Thorin said as he pulled the key out. "Rue this day!" He finished as he held up the key. Everyone started cheering. "Right then. We have a key. Which means that somewhere there is a key-hole" Dwalin said as he felt the rock. "The last light of Durin's day will shine upon the key-hole" Thorin said as he looked out at the sun. The sun slowly started to go down. "Nori" Thorin said and nudged Nori to go to the rock. Nori took out a spoon and started tapping on the rock. "We're losing the light. Come on!" Thorin said as the sun went down more. Everyone watched as Nori tapped the spoon faster and in more places. Dwalin started kicking at the rock. "Be quiet! I can't hear when you're thumping!" Nori told Dwalin. "I can't find it! It's not here!" Dwalin said in a panic as he kicked the rock harder. "Break it down" Thorin demanded as the sun got closer down. All the dwarves started hitting the rock with their weapons. "Come on!" Thorin shouted. "Break!" Dwalin yelled. "It has to break" Thorin said as he kept watching the sun. "It's no good. The door's sealed. Can't be opened by force. There's a powerful magic on it" Balin said as the dwarves stopped. The sun fell below the mountain. "No!" Thorin yelled as he walked closer to the rock. He pulled out his map again. "The last light of Durin's day will shine upon the key-hole" Thorin read off the map. "That is what it says" He said as he held out the map. Thorin was disappointed and saddened over the loss of the sun. I placed my hand on his cheek. "Thorin" I said as he placed his hand on top of mine. "What did we miss?" He asked. "What did we miss? Balin?" Thorin said as he walked over towards the dwarve. "We've lost the light. There's no more to be done. We had but one chance" Balin told Thorin. "Come away lads. It's over" Dwalin said as the dwarves started to walk away. "Wait a minute" Bilbo said. "We're too late" Gloin said as he walked away. "Where are they going?" Bilbo asked me. "Home. To the blue mountains" I replied. "You can't give up now!" Bilbo yelled. "Thorin" I said as he let the key slip out of his hands and fall on to the floor. "Thorin. You can't give up now" Bilbo told him as he pressed the map to Bilbo's chest. "Come along azyungal" Thorin told me as he walked up to me. "I'm not giving up. I'm staying with Bilbo to figure this out and you should too" I said as he stroked my cheek with his hand. "This journey is over, princess of Lothlórien" Thorin said and walked away. I felt my heart break at the sound of Thorin's words. "Not for me" I said and walked over to Bilbo.

      "Master Baggins, we can figure this out" I said as he handed me the map. "Stand by the gray stone" Bilbo said as he touched the rock. "When the thrush knocks. The setting sun" Bilbo repeated from the map. "The thrush find food at sun down. They eat seeds and knock them against the rocks" I told Bilbo. "And the last light of Durin's day will shine..." Bilbo said as he looked at the spot where the sun was. "The last light" I repeated. We both sighed. The moon broke the clouds revealing a bright white moon. The sounds of knocking could be heard behind us. We turned around and saw a bird knocking food on the rocks. "A thrust" I said as the light from the moon started to collect on the rock. "The last light!" Bilbo said and smiled. "The last light!" He yelled and hugged me. "The key-hole! Come back! It's the light of the moon! The last moon of autumn!" Bilbo yelled at where the dwarves walked down. He started laughing and hugged me again. "Where's the key? Where's the key?" Bilbo asked as we searched the ground for the key. "It was here" Bilbo said as he turned in circles. "Come on. It was.....It was here. It was just" Bilbo said as he kicked the key. It hit the ground twice before it fell off the mountain. Thorin stepped on the string tied around it and kept it from falling down. He slowly bent down and grabbed the key as the rest of the company returned. Thorin walked over to the rock and slid the key in the key-hole before he pushed the door open. Everyone was speechless.