The Master

"Hold your tongue" Dwalin barked as he stepped forward. "You do not know to whom you speak. These are no common criminals. This is Thorin, son of Thrór, son of Thráin" Dwalin said as Thorin moved next to him. He held his hand in mine and pulled me forward with him. "And Arandur, elven princess of Lothlórien" Dwalin added as I stood between him and Thorin. "We are the dwarves of Erebor. We have come to reclaim our homeland" Thorin said as his grip loosened on my hand. I let my hand fall away from his as he stepped forward more. "I remember this town in the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at harbor, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake. This was the center of all trade in the North!" Thorin said as the crowd nodded in agreement. "I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the Halls of Erebor!" The crowd started talking and some cheered. "Death!" Bard said. "That is what you will bring upon us. Dragon fire and ruin" Bard said as he made his way to face Thorin. "If you waken that beast it will destroy us all" Bard told him. "You can listen to this naysayer but I promise you this, if we succeed all will share in the wealth of the mountain" Thorin said making the crowd cheer again. "You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth 10 times over!" Thorin yelled as the crowd cheered even more. "All of you! Listen to me! You must listen!" Bard said trying to get their attention. "Have you forgotten what happened to Dale? Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm?! And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a Mountain King so riven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!" Bard yelled. "Now, now!" The master but in. "We must not, any of us be too quick to lay blame. Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor who failed to kill the beast!" The master told Bard. "It's true, sire. We all know the story. Arrow after arrow, he shot. Each one missing its mark" Alfrid added. "You have no right, No right to enter that mountain" Bard told Thorin. "I have the only right" Thorin said back to Bard. Even though Bard towered over Thorin he had no problem standing his ground. He turned his back on Bard and looked at the master. "I speak to the master of the men of the Lake. Will you see the prophecy fulfilled?" Thorin asked as he walked up the stairs to get closer to him. "Will you share in the great wealth of our people? What say you?" Thorin asked. "I say unto you" The master said as he shook his finger at Thorin. "Welcome! Welcome! And thrice welcome! King under the mountain" He said and threw his arms open wide. We were given weapons and armor and new clothes by the master.

"You do know we're one short. Where's Bufor?" Bilbo asked as we made our way to the boat we were given. "If he's not here, we leave him behind" Thorin said. "We'll have to. If we're to find the door before nightfall, we can risk no more delays" Balin added. We all started to get on the boat. "Not you" Thorin said as he held Kili back. "We must travel at speed. You will slow us down" Thorin said. That was his own way of saying that Kili couldn't come because he couldn't risk him getting hurt more. "What are you talking about? I'm coming with you" Kili insisted. Thorin shook his head. "I'm going to be there when the door is opened. When we first look upon the halls of our father, Thorin" Kili said. "Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed" Thorin said. "I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded" Oin said. "Uncle" Fili said getting Thorin's attention. "We grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us! You cannot take that away from him! I will carry him if I must!" Fili said as he raised his voice. "One day you will be king and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarve. Not even my own kin" Thorin told him. Fili got out of the boat and was grabbed by Thorin. "Fili don't be a fool!" Thorin told his nephew. "I belong with my brother" Fili replied. "So do I" I said and stood next to Fili. "No, you belong with the company and Thorin" Kili told me. "Keep eachother safe" Fili said and placed his hand on my cheek before he left with his brother. "Keep eachother safe" I repeated as I looked at Thorin. His blue eyes were looking back at me. "Thorin Oakenshield" I said as I got closer to him. "I will keep you safe" I told him and smiled. "And I will keep you safe Aran" Thorin said and smiled back. "You have my word" Thorin said before placing his lips on mine.