Lippy Lakeman

Thorin wrapped his arms around me as we stood in silence on the boat. "Watch out!" Bofur yelled as the boat got near rocks. "What are you trying to do. Kill us?" Thorin said as he let go of me and looked at the man. "I was born and bred on these waters, master dwarve" The man said as he looked at Thorin. "If I wanted to drown you I would not do it here" The man. "Oh, I've had enough of this lippy lakeman" Dwalin said. "I say we throw him over the side and be done with it" Dwalin said as he looked at Bilbo. "Bard, his name's Bard" Bilbo said annoyed. "How do you know?" Bofur asked. "Uh because I asked him" Bilbo said even more annoyed. "I don't care what he calls himself. I don't like him" Dwalin said. "You do not have to like him. We simply have to pay him" Balin said as Thorin and I walked closer to him. When Balin was counting the money he noticed we were short money. The only one who hadn't handed over their coins was Gloin. He refused to hand over his coins in till he saw the sight of the lonely mountain. "Bless my beard" Gloin said as he saw the lonely mountain. "Here. Take all of it" Gloin said handing over his coins. The sight in front of us was something I had never seen before. Bard told us to get into the barrels and give him the money. There were guards ahead watching the waters. I sat back in the barrel with Thorin. My bow, quiver, and sword sat between my legs. My back was pressed against his chest and Thorin wrapped his arms around my waist. He rested his head on my shoulder. His breath sending shivers down my spine as it reached my neck. "What's he doing?" Dwalin asked. "He's talking to someone. He's pointing right at us!" Bilbo said. "Now they're shaking hands" Bilbo said. "What?" Thorin asked. "The villan. He's selling us out" Dwalin said as Thorin's grip on me tightened. Fish were dropped on to our heads and Thorin pulled me closer than was possible in the small space. "Quite. We're approaching the tollgate" Bard said as the dwarves complained.

      "Halt. Goods inspection. Papers, please!" A man yelled. "Oh it's you Bard" The man said. "Morning Percy" Bard said back to the man. "Anything to declare?" The man named Percy asked. "Nothing, but that I am cold and tired and ready for home" Bard replied. "You and me both" Percy said back. "There we are. All in order" Percy said to Bard. "Not so fast" A third voice said. "Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland Realm. Only they're not empty are they Bard?" the man said as he got closer to us. "If I recal correctly you're licensed as a bargeman. Not a fisherman" The man said. "That's none of your business" Bard replied. "Wrong. It's the Master's business. Which makes it my business" The voice said. "Oh, come one. Alfrid. Have a heart. People need to eat!" Bard said. "These fish are illegal" The man known as Alfrid said. "Empty the barrels over the side" Alfrid said. "You heard him into the canal" Another voice said as footsteps got closer to us. "Come on. Get a move on" Alfrid said. "Folk in this town are struggling. Times are hard. Food is scarce" Bard said in a panic. "That's not my problem" Alfrid said. "And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back in the lake, when the rioting starts. Will it be youe problem" Bard said harshly to Alfrid. "Stop" Alfrid said ashamed. "Ever the people's champion eh Bard? Protector of the common folk. You might have their favor now, bargeman but it won't last" Alfrid said as the footsteps got further away. "Raise the gate!" Percy yelled. "The master has his eye on you! You'd do well to remember, we know where you live" Alfrid said to Bard. "It's a small town Alfrid. Everyone knows where everyone lives" Bard said as the boat started moving. Two of the barrels were knocked over. "Get your hands off me" Dwalin said. We all got out of the barrels. "You didn't see them. They were never here. The fish you can have for nothing" Bard said as he handed a man money. "Follow me" He said and started walking. "Da! Our house is being watched" A boy said to Bard. "Get under the water. You can come up from the bottom" Bard told us. There was three knocks on a wooden surface. "If you speak of this to anyone. I'll rip your arms off" Dwalin said. We all squeezed out of the square wooden toilet and walked up the stairs. "Da, why are there dwarves coming out of our toilet? A girl asked. "Will they bring us luck?" A smaller girl asked. "Are you alright?" Thorin asked as we got out. I nodded and smiled at him. "Good" He said and smiled back.