sugawara | on ice (pt. 3)

You held your breath as you spun in the air and landed perfectly on the ice. Quad lutz, check. You couldn't help but grin as you continued into your graceful step sequence.

"I love you too, (y/n)." you could practically hear Suga's voice echo in your head as you completed the final revolution of your bullet sit spin. Another perfect execution.

Now, the combination triple axel triple toe loop . You crossed your leg over the other as you gained speed backwards. You turned forwards and propelled yourself off of the ice, landing the triple axel with no sweat. Then, you finished the combination with the triple toe loop. Your fatigue showed as you stumbled over the landing, though the jump still counted.

You finished the last few minutes of the program with a combination spin. Slowing yourself down, you rose your right arm into the air and struck your finishing pose.

Faint claps echoed through the rink. "That was the best performance i've ever seen from you, (y/n)!" your coach glided towards you and gave you a double handed high-five. "Thank you," you grinned, panting heavily.

"Did something good happen lately? I can tell you're more bubbly than normal," she laughed. "N-no! N-not really," you stuttered. All you could think about was your boyfriend the entire practice.

"I could tell you were thinking about someone, (y/n). It showed quite obviously in your skating~" she teased. "M-maybe..." you looked away. "A boyfriend perhaps? Or girlfriend? I don't assume," she shrugged. "Oh shush!" you nudged her elbow. "How long have you been dating~?" she wiggled her eyebrows.

Your coach was quite young, only in her early twenties. She had won gold three years in a row at US figure skating nationals. For such a professional like herself, she had quite a fun personality. Out of school, you would probably consider her your best friend.

"Well you'd better get some rest, (y/n). I'll call your dad to make sure you're asleep by 9 tonight," she said and patted your back. "Alright, alright." the two of you exited the ice rink. You stopped walking and looked up at her, "Thanks, coach." "Of course." the words were so little, yet they were of great significance. You had to do well tomorrow.

• • •

Today was the day. The day that you compete at regionals. If you won here, you'd be able to go to nationals... nationals! Where the top figure skaters of Japan compete against each other. It was nerve wracking—the amount of time and effort you've put into making it here was extraordinary. "(y/n)." your heart was racing and your mouth was dry. Were you going to be able to land those jumps? "(y/n)." what if you screwed up on a simple spiral? What if you got last place?!

"(y/n)!" your coach grabbed your shoulders. "Y-yes! Sorry," you sighed. "You gotta calm down, okay? You're really tense." she noticed that her words had no effect on you and sighed. "Here, when i... was nervous... before competitions, y'know- like nationals, US figure skating nationals, where i won gold three ti-" "I got it, i got it, you're basically a celebrity," you laughed.

You were wearing a tight white body suit with a lacy skirt. Golden spirals decorated the skirt and suit, and it sparkled under the spotlight.

Your coach smiled when one of the event managers approached you, "(l/n), you're up in 15 seconds. Good luck." your coach quickly pulled you in for a hug, "Go show Miyagi who's boss," she firmly patted your back twice and grinned. "Will do!"

You glided onto the ice and rose your arms in the air. "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome (y/n)(l/n)." a voice announced, getting a loud cheer from the crowd—well, it was mostly coming from a loud group of high school students holding up signs with your name on it. Wait, high school students?