tsukishima | isn't she cute? (pt. 2)

"Tsukki-kun, you should switch to contacts! You would look so much better," you heard a voice from around the corner, causing you to stop in your tracks. You try your best to ignore the conversation as you reluctantly continue down the hall.

"Contacts are uncomfortable for me," your friend remarked as he payed no attention to you when you passed. "So? I wear my hair up and it hurts my head, it'd only be fair if you did a little something, too."

The comment caught your ear, making you shudder in annoyance. How inconsiderate of someone to say such a thing.

"Good morning (y/n)-san," a tall, black haired boy walked by your side, accompanied by an energetic Hinata. "Oh, good morning Tobio-kun, Hinata-kun," you smiled. It's been three weeks since the incident in the foreign neighborhood, but ever since then, the three of you had grown quite close.

"You still owe me 200 yen for all the milk i bought you," you side eyed Kageyama. "I-i know... i just don't have it right now," he mumbled, brows furrowed. "(y-n)-san, you should charge him interest, too!" Hinata whispered, making you giggle. Kageyama heard, earning the spiker a karate chop on the head.

"Well, i'll see you guys later," you said as you found your classroom. The two boys said their goodbyes as they went their own ways. It was nice having close friends again.

• • •

The school day finished, and you were on your way home when you realized you had forgotten your math notebook at school. You groaned in disappointment as you reluctantly turned around.

The majority of students were already home by now—if not—they were on their way since there were no club activities today.

Thankfully, the door was still unlocked. You quickly slid it open. To your surprise, a startled Tsukishima flinched in his seat. The boy slid his headphones down to his neck, giving you an expecting look.

"H-hi..." you awkwardly waved. "Why are you here, (y/n)? It's late," he simply watched as you unlocked your locker, grabbing your forgotten belonging. "I forgot my math notebook." you answered, "What about you?"

"I'm studying," he tapped his pencil against the notebook on his desk. Several papers surrounded it in an organized manner. That was Tsukishima Kei alright.

"But why study here? Shouldn't you be at home?" you pulled up a chair from the desk in front of him, plopping down directly across from the boy. It wouldn't hurt to stay for a few minutes. "It's quieter here," he glanced at you before going back to his work.

Since you've been close friends with Tsukishima for a couple of years, you knew damn well that he loved his silence. You quietly watched as he stared at his paper before scribbling down notes in the form of bullet points.

Something was off, though. His eyes looked distressed, like they were secretly begging for help. His brows were harshly furrowed, and you could tell how tightly he was clenching his jaw. Tsukishima wasn't normally like this when he studied...

You poked two fingers in between his brows, causing the blonde to turn his attention up to you, "You shouldn't tent your brows so much, you'll get wrinkles."

The boy gave you a suspicious look before swatting your hand away, "It's not like i'm trying to." his voice didn't sound as snarky as usual.

You paused for a moment, taking in a deep breathe as you addressed the elephant in the room, "What's the matter?" you asked. "What?" Tsukishima squinted his eyes in judgement. "You heard me, i've known you for a while now Kei. It's easy to tell when something's bothering you," you said, keeping your gaze directly on him.

"It's not important," he brushed off the subject as he put his focus back on his notebook. You looked at him with concern. Tsukishima almost never kept things from you—you were his best friend after all, yet these last few weeks have shown otherwise. If you were to keep pushing it he would clearly get annoyed, but it was worth a shot.

"Kei, if it wasn't important, you wouldn't be acting like this right now," you said. The sun was now setting as it radiated rich golden rays into the classroom. "I'm not acting like anything, (y/n)." he spat, his voice so full of venom it made you regret your choice of words. It was a pity how greatly his attitude contrasted the beautiful golden sky.

"I can help you if you tell me," you said, staring up at him desperately. Both of his hands were tightly clenched around his pencil, his knuckles pale white. It looked like the pencil was ready to snap at any second.

You slowly laid your hands on top of his. The tension in them immediately ceased, allowing you to pull them apart and hold them in your own palms.

Tsukishima looked at you, squeezing your hands as he inhaled, then loosening them as he exhaled. You stared at him, patiently awaiting his response.

"What are you doing?" he finally asked. "I'm consoling you," you answered as if it were obvious. "You know i have a girlfriend, right?" the blonde snickered, but you could tell those words held no pride behind them. "Y-yes! Those weren't my intentions, Kei... and you know that!" you quickly retracted your hands as you pulled them onto your lap.

"I just thought it would make you feel better... that's what friends do after all," you muttered, averting your eyes to the side. Tsukishima flinched.

Friends...

He had completely neglected you. After all this time, he finally realized where he'd gone wrong. You were the one who always stood by his side. You were the person who lended him a hand whenever he felt like he was nothing more but a speck of dust. He was just too foolish to realize it.

"Thank you... (y/n)," the blonde said, pausing before your name. "Eh?! O-oh, you're welcome," you accidentally blurted, for this wasn't the response you expected at all.

"We should go home now," Tsukishima's chair scraped against the classroom, interrupting the quiet atmosphere. "I'll walk you." he slipped his papers into a folder and closed his notebook. "That'd be very nice," you smiled, helping him pack the rest of his belongings.

The sky was painted a romantic magenta, the clouds stained with bright pink. "I missed this," you said, your eyes glued to the sunset. "Missed what?" Tsukishima inquired. "Being friends... you totally starting ignoring me ever since you got a girlfriend!" you elbowed him in the side.

The blonde flinched at the words, "I know... i'm sorry," he mumbled, just loud enough for you to hear. "It's okay, all that matters is that we're here now," you smiled. Tsukishima stared at you—he didn't deserve this kindness.

"Well, i'll see you tomorrow then," you said as you approached your front door. "Yeah, bye (y/n)." the blonde adjusted his bag onto his shoulder as you flashed him a grin. "Bye Kei!"

You shut the door behind you, slipping off your shoes in the entrance. This is what you really needed, not Tsukishima's acceptance, not a romantic relationship, but his friendship. You dragged yourself to your room and fell back onto your bed. I'm glad you're finally back, Kei.

welcome to the friend zone folks, all are welcome here! will i do a part three? it depends on how much you guys want it, later then~