akaashi / fading away

this is like half angst, i haven't written something super angsty yet but it'll happen one day

"Ayeee (y/n), what's up?" a classmate high-fived you as you passed in the halls. "Not much, how about you?" you grinned. "I'm doing fine, see you at lunch!" he saluted you, walking backwards before turning forwards again.

"(y/n)! Me and Kimura are going to the arcade later, wanna come?" another familiar face asked as she ran up to you. "Ah, sorry Gentaro, i got practice," you smiled apologetically. That was a lie. "Oh, it's all good, see you around then!"

"Yo (y/n)! Emiko said yes! We're going to a festival on Friday for our date!" "See, i told you it'd work!" "(y/n), thanks for helping me with my math homework. I got an A on the test!" "Aw, i knew you could do it!" "Hey (y/n)!" "What's up (y/n)!" "(y/n)!"

"(y/n)."

You looked up from your desk after what felt like you were staring at for ages. "Are you okay?" his soft voice freed you from the overwhelming hell occurring in your brain.

"Yeah, of course i am! Why wouldn't i be?" you forced a smile. A smile that warmed hearts with a single glance, yet it meant nothing to the person holding it. "You look like something is troubling you," Akaashi spoke in a calm manner.

"I do? Man, it must've been that milk from earlier... lactose intolerant problems, am i right?" you patted your stomach, earning a few chuckles of nearby classmates.

"Alright, i hope you feel better then," he concluded, leaving as soon as the bell rang.

• • •

"Are you okay?"

You could still hear the words echo in your ear. The common phrase was so simple, yet you barely ever heard it getting asked to you—not that it mattered much.

You took in a deep breath, exhaling as you stood up. Your social status was a lot more exhausting to uphold than you realized.

"Dude, (y/n), you will not believe what happened to me yesterday!" a second year classmate waved his hand to you. "Tell me at lunch," you half smiled.

"Hey (y/n), i've been working on this new basketball trick shot, wanna check it out after school?" another classmate of yours grinned. "Sorry Ito, i have practice. I'm sure Maruyama would love to see it though," you excused yourself. What practice you ask? It didn't exist. "Practice" was simply your lousy excuse to get out of situations like these. You only used it when you were too tired, but you found yourself using it more and more often lately.

"(y/n)! You should sit with us at lunch today, Nakamoto got you last time," a third year laughed. "I can't today."

"Hey (y/n), you alright? You look kinda down," a girl you failed to recognize frowned. "I'm fine, thanks," you said, not even sparing her a glance.

All you heard was "(y/n)!" "(y/n)!" "(y/n)!". Your head pounded violently—like a brick was getting hammered, and hammered, and hammered into it. You felt slower than you did a week ago as you dragged your pathetic form across the lively halls. It was a very contrasting sight from your usual self.

"(y/n), you should come-" "I can't." "Yo (y/n), when'd you go to sleep last night? You look really tired-" "I'm fine." "(y/n)-" "Sorry, i can't talk right now."

What the hell happened to you?

• • •

It's been two and a half weeks since you've shown up to school. Rumors unbeknownst to you spread like wildfire—dark rumors, that is. They always say those with the biggest smile hide the most pain.