Chapter 7 - 1 OAK

In the week past Bethany had delivered Charlotte a credit card from Drake to help her after the loss of her wallet, the condition was that she had to sacrifice what she spends out of her first pay. So, Charlotte was extra careful as she was still very unaware of the sum she was going to receive.

She had started to improve majorly with her training, her photoshoots were coming more naturally to her now and slowly her runway walk had become more confident but that confidence only seemed to stay within the boundaries of her training. 8 days straight of being called every name under the sun had gotten to her and her mediocre perception of herself was waning. Charlotte started to see the clumsy and stupid girl everyone else saw and it had started to place her in a silent depression.

Charlotte's mom and dad had called and texted her constantly, she answered the best she could with the time she had but all of her calls were emotionally draining. Putting on a mask she just wanted to play the part of the lucky girl that got her chance in NYC to her parents. It worked and they couldn't have been happier for her. Charlotte also had to change to work with Lucinda, making sure absolutely none of her glances could come across the wrong way and being completely obedient to anything and every order Lucinda gave her without question or complaint.

This is what she had to do to keep this going and be where she needed to be in life.

After Charlottes first real runway people started to speak to her differently, still beneath them but supportive of her presentation. The entreaty of the Lucinda's showcased selection sold within the day.

Charlotte was mostly glad that she didn't mess up but she was relieved that Lucinda seemed happier. Happy for her was basically a slight smile at the show and a brief nod to her model but it made the difference to Charlotte, to be recognized for something positive.

In celebration of the recent success Drake invited everyone to a club called 1 OAK, everyone apart from Charlotte that is. Due to her age he didn't think it would be appropriate and above that he had promised Charlottes dad to look after her here in Manhattan.

So as they all let loose and drank, Charlotte was in her apartment. Quietly watching America's Next Top Model to take note of some other techniques and styles she could use in the runway and in photoshoots.

But one person wasn't going to allow that.

Banging on her door so rapidly, Charlotte thought there might be a fire was Bethany. Dressed in a tight light blue cocktail dress and smiling ear to ear with her nude panted lips.

Charlotte stared at Beth as she stood holding her door open in a white dressing gown, bed hair everywhere and glasses on.

"You look different-"

"I got contacts!" Bethany beamed brightly, letting herself in "but let's get to business because you look like a walking depression. Throw a dress on and fix yourself up, we're going out."

Charlotte double took herself and gave Beth an odd look, "where? Why?"

"What do you mean why?! You're part of the team too, I'm here to save you from boredom and join the rest of us at 1 OAK."

Beth walked Charlotte into her bedroom and threw a dress at her, "I'm 20 Beth, I can't even go in so I-"

"Nope, sorted that before I left the club. I'll get you in. It made me sad AF to hear you were home and not out. You modeled, you carried out the display, and you gotta have some fun for doing a good job."

Feeling the pressure of Bethany's persistent stare Charlotte gave in and prepared to leave. She didn't feel welcome to come and as Bethany and Charlotte traveled into town she couldn't help but feel more and more unsure. Easily imagining getting refused at the door or being stared at because she doesn't belong, one for her age and two because she just didn't fit in with a refined crowd.

Then there was Lucinda, everyone is celebrating because of her successful designs. She just wore it and walked around in the way I was shown. Lucinda wouldn't want Charlotte there.

Unenthusiastically Charlotte followed Bethany's lead through the line and surprisingly passed the bouncers. Bethany smirked and gave Charlotte a wink reassuring her that she had her back and tonight was going to be great fun.

Instantly Charlotte felt unwelcome as they passed into the restricted VIP section, Drake. Dressed in a flaming red velvet suit stared daggers at Bethany, Charlotte was left to mingle as they had a stern talk.

Uncomfortably Charlotte look up a seat at the crowded table that hosted familiar faces from the runway show, colorful characters, all sporting something either jewels or accessories that shon wealth.

Lucinda watched slyly as she continued her conversation with an enthusiastic critic beside her, Charlotte caught her and everyone else's attention when she ordered a water from a passing waitress.

"Don't be daft love, here. Have some Champaign-"

Drake lent over of abruptly, slightly alarming those at the table but used his charm to play off his aggressive snatch of the Champaign "allow me." He purred and everyone raised their glasses in cheers before getting back to talking fashion.

Leaning down to Charlotte she poured her a flute, "you are 21 for tonight Charlotte, please keep to that." He said loud enough over the music for only Charlotte to hear. She understood perfectly but didn't touch her drink, he noticed and gave her a reassuring smile before joining the table.

The evening went on fairly smoothly, Charlotte got her very first taste of alcohol, interests were shared as Lucinda discussed Versace and her love of the design as she playfully showed her belt around her tight waisted dress. Charlotte wanted to tell her how much she liked the gold and diamond embroiled Versace belt but couldn't bring herself to as the worry was still there in regards to what Lucinda thought of her.

As the night progressed, words started to slur and become louder. Laughs came out more dramatically and often. Everyone was enjoying themselves.

That was until Charlotte overheard Lucinda talking to another designer at the bar about her.

Hopeless. Useless. Temporary.

All things Charlotte thought of herself but hearing it from Lucinda's mouth hurt something inside her.

Disappearing into the clubs restrooms Charlotte unnecessarily washed her hands for an extended period of time until tears choked her up but quickly had to attempt to pull herself together as she was no longer alone.

"Charlotte, you okay?"

Nodding and turning her back to her, Charlotte scrunched paper towel into her hands wishing Bethany away. Touching her shoulder flinching away and promised Bethany she was alright and that she was just on her way home. Getting aggravated by Bethany's persistence Charlotte pushed and rushed out of the club to the cool New York scented air. Once alone she found herself heading over to Central Park.

"Get off me!" Charlotte growled as a hand took hold of her arm but her expression completely dropped as her eyes locked with those cold blue ones. Releasing her hold Lucinda tucked her hands back into her coat pockets.

"Come with me." She told Charlotte calmly. When Charlotte thought of refusing her Lucinda gestured to the car on the side of the road, not feeling like she had a choice Charlotte got in the car with her.

"Garment District." Lucinda informed the driver and he pulled out, with a sigh she lent her hair back against the back car seat her fingertips brushing over Charlottes resting hand absently.

Charlotte retracted herself into the door beside her, training her hazy eyes out her window. The touch kept lingering her mind but Lucinda's words kept fighting the thought off.

Hopeless. Useless. Temporary.

"Lucinda?" Charlotte spoke aloud and an internal panic ensued as she wished she could take it back, glancing at her she had Lucinda's attention as her head turned on the seat towards her. Trying impossibly to not stare too hard or not look at her in the wrong way Charlotte braced herself.

"You... Do you want me to quit?"