Chapter 32 - Taken

"Where the fuck are you? You were meant to be here hours ago," Yelled in the kitchen on her way back to bed, "you better not be serious! It's a 12-hour drive!"

Placing a glass of water on my nightstand she paced holding her own as she gripped the phone so hard I could see the whites of her knuckles.

I almost choked as I took a sip, Lucinda was furious at Bethany.

"I don't care that you're bringing the bikes and everything. It's your job to confirm this shit with me! He's an old dog and doesn't travel well on hour car trips let alone 12... DONT START FUCKING CRYING AGAIN!"

Pinching the bridge of her nose her brow furrowed as I could see she was on the verge of exploding, "just fucking explain to me how driving 12 fucking hours made more sense than a 2 and a half hour flight?!"

Coaxing her into bed I laid my head on her lap hoping she'd calm down soon. Stroking my hair I kissed her fingers playfully until they became frozen as Lucinda's back straightened abruptly.

"How far along are you?.. I'm sorry, I didn't know just take a deep breath. It's alright-" now it was my turn to sit up as I'd never heard Lu ever speak in such a kind and patient tone with Beth.

"IT'S NOT ALRIGHT!" I heard Beth scream into the phone loud enough that Lucinda had to pull the phone away from her ear.

Turning a whiter shade of white I started to worry as Lucinda actually started to look sick.

"Tell me everything. It stays between us." She told Bethany in a deadly serious voice. Rubbing Lu's back she instantly shook me off and mouthed 'not now it's important.

Suddenly ending the call Lucinda's phone dropped from her hand to the bed as she stared numbly at the sheets.

"You don't look well, what's happened? Is maxim okay?"

"He's fine..." she mumbled before covering her mouth and leaning over. Returning my hand to her back I waited until she was ready.

"You're freaking me out Lu."

"She's 36 weeks pregnant, she couldn't fly because of the risk to the baby."

"What the-"

"Drakes baby..." Lucinda spoke through her hand and the shock just shot through me like a shotgun, "she loves him and he paid her to get an abortion months ago. Apparently, he's been awful to her and she's afraid because he'd do anything to keep his family together."

"Is she sure the baby's his?" I wondered wrapping my arms around Lucinda, she lent back into me.

"She's pregnant and they've been having sex Charlotte. That's the forefront of what is important... I don't understand how he could do this to his family, his wife is so beautiful to him and I know they love each other deeply." Shaking her head she hugged around my arms that were wrapped around her waist.

"I'm the last person that can make a judgement on this." I mistakenly spoke aloud and I prepared for Lucinda to reject me for being like him.

But she didn't. Her head turned and I laid back into the pillows as she dropped her head on my chest, "it can't go away Charlotte. But after the press caught on and everything we've worked on having something difficult. I try not to hold it against you... Drake and his wife tried for years to have a child. They finally have the family they've always wanted, he's the father he's always wanted to be. Now, he's knocked up Bethany: a lost girl with traumatic daddy issues that are bounced from person to person trying to find that one that would keep her and the mess she can be. I've known her a while now and in the quiet moments, we do talk. As much as it pains me to say there wouldn't have been a chance she would have kept her baby to the last trimester if she didn't truly think Drake was her person."