chapter 39 - Intense

"Agh, my god." moaning I flopped down on the padded floor, my heart pumping so hard I could feel it in my throat as sweat oozed every pore on my body.

2 Hour run on the treadmill, 1 hour on the exercise bike, 1 more hour on weights followed by 30 lap sprints in the pool had been my morning coping mechanism starting bright and early at an enjoyable 4 in the morning. At least now coming into spring the sun was out so I wasn't walking in the dark and frost to get into the pool.

I was defiantly feeling not getting my 7 hours of sleep last night, I was slow as fuck doing my laps. It felt like I was never going to finish.

"Fuck this-" I gave up, swimming over the steps to sit and catch my breath. the open curtains upstairs catching my eye, Lu. Wiping my hair out of my face I gave her a small wave before leaning over my knees huffing and puffing.

I went in hard, digging the water deep and pushing through the feeling of lava burning through the muscles of my legs.

Drying off I went upstairs, unzipping my back as I opened our bedroom door.

"You using the shower Lu?" I asked still breathing deeper.

"No," she dismissed, opening her laptop in bed as her eyes scanned over it, "how long have you been doing that?"

"I had to do something with my time," I answered her grabbing everything I needed before I opened up the cabinet, taking my favorite fluffy bath towel before getting over to the sink.

"I can tell."

Smiling widely I bit my lip pausing in front of the mirrored sink.

Dancing under the water to one of the bass-filled songs of Lucinda's that had grown on me.

-

"I'll just be in the office, I have a session."

"mhmm," she spoke as she typed. Not looking at me.

-

"I'm glad you've been taking these sessions seriously Charlotte, your progress has come along really nicely. How was your workout this morning?"

"Yeah good, you were right. having a more intense workout session and a stricter schedule has helped me feel much more in control of myself."

"Do you see yourself slipping with her return?"

glancing that the door I shook my head, "we still don't talk much so I don't think so. She's angry at me, she thinks I betrayed her by having her admitted."

Taking a second longer writing something down I noticed her new haircut, shorter and sharper, much more fashionable, "its all to be expected. As we've discussed, Lucinda has always taken the leadership role in your relationship, personally and professionally. Having that control taken away from her and feeling belittled by needing help will of course make her feel insecure. How has your anger been?"

"It spikes, especially when she insinuates that I don't care about her but I keep myself in check. I had a little slip yesterday and yelled at her but other than that I've kept it in."

"You must be careful Charlotte," she reminded me, "you don't know of her experience in the mental health facility and with you telling me she was put on a feeding tube I doubt she was very accommodating to anyone there. If she refused basic needs I'd be comfortable saying she rejected any other help while being there. She will be in a fragile state, she wants your comfort Charlotte. She just won't ask for it willingly."

Nodding in agreement I bit my cheek, "I know."

"What's going on with the holiday to Australia? Canceled?"