Chapter 20 - Riding Recklessly

As instructed by Bethany's call, Charlotte didn't wear makeup and dressed comfortably; Bethany informed her this morning that today's workshop was going to involve a makeover team and that it was going to be a long-drawn-out day.

It was still cold in Manhattan so Charlotte chose an outfit Billie illish would approve of; an oversized designer tracksuit and Jordens on her feet.

Choosing to walk to the workshop Charlotte encountered paparazzi. Behind her Gucci shades, Charlotte politely passed them and didn't pay much mind because as soon as she approached the doors of the workshop they all were ushered by security guarding the front.

Venturing up the staircases the sound of Russian heavy metal banged off the walls and dread hit Charlotte like a bullet hearing it. It signaled the tune of "fuck off" and "don't talk to me." Music.

Not in the mood for deafness this morning Charlotte switched the screaming off.

"Excuse me!" Lucinda's voice boomed from somewhere in the workshop, startled and hesitant Charlotte searched for her.

Glasses with magnifiers attached, tools that looked like tweezers. Lucinda was working on a jeweled and metal-based design. It seemed to look like a body chain.

Lucinda's concentration broke in irritation and she put everything down with a thud, expression cooling at the sight of Charlotte and becoming intrigued by her choice of attire "you look like Billie Eilish."

Blooming a smile Charlotte performed a full body gesture, "that's what I was going for. She dresses so comfortably I thought it was fitting for the day Bethany prepped me for."

Irritation flashed over Lucinda's face before she returned to the jeweled chains, "yeah well, I hope this day goes by quickly."

Confused and unsure of Lucinda's meaning Charlotte joined her at the workbench, observing the fine detail work Lucinda's slim fingers performed. The body chain was dazzlingly bright with diamond flecks. Charlotte tried to comprehend how she was even meant to put it on, "what's so bad about today?" she questioned Lucinda.

"the other hired models are coming in for a fitting for the next show. It's unavoidable, they must be fitted so I have to be here." Lucinda confessed miserably, freshly reminding Charlotte of Lucinda's strong and harsh views on other ethnicities and body sizes.

"I'm here." Charlotte pointed out trying to sound reassuring and ran her hands down Lucinda's tensed shoulders down her chest, brushing her fingertips over Lucinda's exposed cleavage. Lucinda continued with the chain work and Charlotte hopelessly kissed a trail down the side of Lucinda's neck.

"I'm expecting Bethany and Drake soon. Stop." Lucinda forced her voice not to tremble as Charlotte grazed her teeth over her skin and a teasing pinch. Taking her breasts in her hands a shaken breath sighed from Lucinda's lips, "Charlotte." She warned standing up abruptly as a door clicked.

"Here we are, ladies. Try not to touch anything, this way." Bethany's voice carried from the blind spot of the workbench. Charlotte took a seat and watched as Lucinda briskly straightened her fitted feminine white suit.

"Lucinda it's a pleasure to meet you. I've been looking forward to meeting you for the longest time, love your suit." A bubbly curvaceous woman offered a respectful hand to Lucinda which quickly retracted after Lucinda's clear cold greeting.

"You are third to be fitted. Line up in your assigned order."

Uncomfortably some were eager to follow directions, the women lined up with Charlotte among them.

Lucinda was in hell mentally being so close to people that she absolutely despised. Charlotte easily picked up a conversation with them, Lucinda kept glancing at her with every chuckle and friendly gesture. Lucinda didn't understand why she was wasting her time and energy freely on such people.