Your Journey Begins

You were an imaginative child. You could create stories from the simplest things. Such as the story about the rock who got picked up by a crow and traveled around the world in ridiculous ways. Adults loved you because you could always entertain them with your childish innocence. You believed in monsters, like any child would. It was like an adventure to go and try to find the creatures of the night.

      Your mother, a librarian, had to keep an eye on you constantly because you'd run into dark or dangerous locations looking for trolls or fairies. Your father was a car salesman, and spent most of his time at work instead of home. The only times you ever saw him were the moments when he'd walk in the front door and disappear into his office. But that never bothered you. Monsters were far more fascinating than people in your young mind.

      You couldn't remember if you were 4 or 5, maybe 6 but doubtful, when it happened. It was a normal night. Quiet. Your father was in his office, your mother reading a book in the sitting room, and you were watching some aged cartoon on the TV. You didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. Everything was quiet except for the cartoonish sounds coming from the television set. Then someone screamed. It scared you so much, but you ran towards it. Not out of bravery, but out of sheer terror. It was coming from your father's office.

      Something red was leaking out from under the door. It stuck to your feet and made marks everywhere. You were so scared, but you didn't do anything. You just stood. Then you heard another scream. This time from upstairs. You ran up the stairs.

      As you stepped up the last step, you saw a reddened arm, detached from your mother's body sitting in the hallway across from her bedroom door. You peeked inside the room and saw a massive creature straddling your mother's corpse. It didn't see you as it ate, so you watched it. It's skin was black and its back had strange spikes sticking out of it. It's face was full of teeth and two black eyes. It's long, jagged, black claws scraped at the corpse, drawing up more shredded meat into its maw. You looked away, sitting against the wall. You were shaking and your hands were bright red. You looked down the stairs and saw the bloody footprints you had left. You listened for another moment to the monster chewing on your mom before heading back downstairs to escape out the front door.

      You had barely reached it before it was kicked in. You fell back onto your bottom, staring up at the two flannel clad men carrying shotguns. One was black and the other was white, both had beards, and their eyes were wild as they looked around the room. The white, bearded man looked at you frantically.

      "Is it here?! Where is it?" he whispered, although you thought it sounded like a hiss.

      You pointed up the stairs. The black man charged up while the white one hesitated before following. You watched them as they ran into the room. You listened to the shotguns go off and the men yelling. You heard something screeching, then something explode. You had to cover your ears, but it was over in a matter of seconds. The two men stepped out of the room and stared at you and your bloodstained pink-and-white striped blouse and blue leggings. They walked down the stairs and the white man knelt down in front of you.

      "Sweetheart, do you have a grandma or grandpa you can go stay with?" the man asked.

      You shake your head.

      "Aunts? Uncles? Cousins? Distant relations?" he asked.

      You shake your head again, this time looking at the ground while holding your hands together.

      "Bobby... you betta not be takin' in a 'nother stray!" the black man growled.

      "We can't just leave her here," the nice man snapped back, then looked at you," You better come with us, alright?"

      You don't do anything. You just stare at him.

      "My name is Bobby, you can call me... Uncle Bobby, I guess," he said with a breathy chuckle.

      "Uncle Stupid Mother-..." the other man started, before Uncle Bobby cut him off with a sharp clearing of his throat.

      "He's Rufus," Uncle Bobby said, rolling his eyes as he added in a whisper," You can call him Uncle Idjit."

      Rufus, Uncle Idjit, muttered grown-up words under his breath. You let the tiniest smile creep onto your face.

      "Oh you like that huh? You little urchin...," Rufus started, only to be cut off again.

      "What's your name, sweetheart?" Uncle Bobby asked.

      "Y/n," you said in a tiny voice.

      "Well, Y/n, it's good to meet you," he said with a smile.