Castiel Arrives (with Bad News)

Dean stared at Castiel with a dumbfounded and relieved expression. He got up from his knees and pointed at you.

      "Save her," he said with a broken voice.

      Cas looked at you, confused, but stepped beside you and pressed his fingers against your forehead. You could feel the pressure, but your mind was so foggy and dark it didn't register in your conscious thoughts. The streaks of warmth and light however, did. And it flowed through your nerves. Your veins. Even the strains of DNA in your cells were electrified by it. You gasped, startled by the throbbing in your being as energy pumped through you. You could feel your body mending itself. Molecules were being sewn back together as though nothing had ever broken them before. And just like that... the sensation drifted away like the end of a storm.

      "Y/n? Y/n... come on, say something... please!" Dean begged, holding your hand tightly (a little too hard, actually).

      "You're crushing my fingers," you manage to speak.

      Dean dropped your hand like it was poison," Sorry."

      "It's alright," you say, then tried to sit up, which you did with Dean's help," What happened?"

      "My name is Castiel," the trench coat man said in a low, gruff, yet caring voice," What's your name? Dean's never mentioned you."

      "Y/n," you say, then reply with," Yeah, I'm kind of new to uh... everything. What... what did you do to me?"

      "I healed you," Castiel stated plainly," I'm an angel."

      "Like... like Gabriel?" you ask, looking between Sam and Dean.

      "He's... he's an archangel. I'm just an angel," Castiel explained,"... So you've met Gabriel? When? Where did you see him last?"

      "Iowa," Sam said," He met Y/n out in the parking lot, then told us you were holding back another angelic civil war."

      "That I am," Castiel said," What did Gabriel tell you about the why?"

      "The why?" Dean asked.

      "He said there was some sort of cosmic disturbance. Some kind of big that no one knows if its good or bad," Sam cut Dean off," You want to investigate it and possibly protect it while everyone else wants it dealt with."

      "Basically," Castiel said," I don't know much more than that, but I do know that it's on the Earth somewhere, right now. It emits a powerful energy, but it's so broad it covers half of North America, a fourth of Mexico, and two thirds of the Pacific Ocean."

      "Have you checked for the epicenter?" Sam asked.

      "I have, down to the centimeter," Castiel said," But it's still hidden. Like a false signal or something."

      "What can we do to help?" you ask.

      "Uh-uh, not you. Us," Dean said, pointing a finger at you then gesturing to himself, Sam, and Castiel," You're staying here."

      You pout.

      "I would search for the source, but..." Castiel trailed off before stating," Something else has come up. Or... down, actually."

      "What?" Sam asked.

      "Gabriel," Castiel said," He's gone. After he gave you my message, he disappeared. No one's heard from him since."

      "Maybe he went off the grid, again," Sam said," He does that all the time."

      "No, he and I have an arrangement," Castiel said," He contacts me his location, no matter what, and I give him his freedom. As much as I can that is. He agreed to it and has done it for the last month. This isn't him 'going off the grid'. This is something different."

      "Alright, Cas. I hear you," Dean said," We'll find him. But for tonight, can you just make sure that she's alright?"

      "Thank you," Castiel said, then looked at you," And I will."

      You were still laying on the couch after everyone else went to bed. Even Uncle Bobby. You couldn't sleep though. You didn't want to. Castiel sat beside you on a chair. Watching you carefully. You watched him with as much intensity as he did you. You thought he was studying you like you were studying him. You noted how his tie was slightly off kilter and his white shirt was always wrinkled. His trench coat was loose over his shoulders and draped over the sides of the chair's seat. He leaned forward, his arms resting on his knees, interlocking his fingers together only to pull them apart absentmindedly.

      "You're very beautiful," Castiel said softly.

      "What?" you almost choked.

      "You are," Castiel said," I don't know why exactly, but you are."

      "Oh- okay," you say, blushing, then turned away quickly to keep from him seeing you turn red.

      "Did I say something wrong?" Castiel asked.

      "No- it's not that, it's just... I wasn't expecting that, I guess," you say, trying not to stammer but finding it completely impossible to do," I mean... you're an angel. I thought you'd be more... objective."

      Castiel shrugged," At one time I was. At one time I was a soldier. The perfect soldier. Following every order without hesitation or question. I doubted nothing. My mission was whatever Heaven dictated to me. If it was important to Heaven, then I would do my utmost to do its will. Everything was solid black or white. Until... I met Dean Winchester."

      "How'd you meet?" you ask.

      "Dean had made a crossroads deal with a demon to save Sam's life," Castiel said," And it caused him to be killed by a hellhound. I raised him from perdition to save the world from the apocalypse."

      "Whoa... I never heard any of that," you say in utter and complete shock," Tell me more."

      "I... I don't know if I should," Castiel said," If they didn't tell you, maybe it's better if I don't either..."

      "Cas... I can call you Cas right?" you ask.

      "Of course," Castiel said.

      "Well... Cas, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should become a full fledged hunter," you say," I need to know the gritty stories and risks I'm taking. Beyond just 'I could die' or 'die in a blaze of glory'. I want to know more..."

      "Well... alright then," Cas said.

      Then he told you story after story of the boys and their pain and their losses and their heartbreaks. But their victories and their moments of joy and happiness. You remember seeing 2:31 AM on the digital clock before you fell asleep. You could also feel Cas pulling the blanket tighter around your shoulders before you drifted off into sweet, sweet slumber.