Today's the Day! (to lose your mind...)

You ended up falling asleep with Cas in your arms, but when you woke up, you were in bed and Cas was dozing on the floor nearby. It was breaking dawn, but your room was still mostly in darkness. You were laying on the special mat, and it made sleeping on your wings less uncomfortable. You rolled over and tested if you could move your wings. You could, but it took a while to find the right muscles to push and pull on. Once you did, you started to explore how they moved and practiced different motions. It became easier the more you practiced. And it was fun to stare at the white and silver feathers in the dim morning light.

      You finally convinced your body to leave the comfort of the bed to stand up and leave the room. The clock on the wall said it was around 6 AM so you figured it was about time to get up. You smiled as you stepped over Cas's slumbering trenchcoat body and headed to the door.

      The hall was dark and you could hear some TV gunfire and explosions coming from the living room. You glanced at the door next to your room. It was Lucifer's room and it was ajar. The whole time you'd been here, you'd never seen it open. You didn't think Lucifer even went in at all while everyone had been here.

      You know you shouldn't, but curiosity took over and you nudge the door open so you can peek inside. You saw Lucifer sitting up against the backboard of the queen sized bed, eyes shut with sleep and head lolled to the side. You noticed that there were open books and scattered photographs everywhere. The dark maroon walls had newspaper clippings and maps and photographs pinned up with multi-colored tacks. You stepped back out and let the door go back to its original position. Finished snooping, you head out to the living room to see if Gabriel was still awake.

      Shocker, he wasn't. He was slumped over, mouth hanging wide open, and drooling. You snorted silently. This was Heaven's fiercest weapon? He was more adorable than terrifying. You had to resist petting and cooing over the sleeping archangel. You didn't want to wake him up.

      You went to the kitchen and sat on a stool at the island. You sat for a moment before deciding you wanted a drink. So you went to the fridge and opened the doors. You found a case of your whiskey-gin sitting on the top shelf. You stole a bottle and popped the lid off. The smell was filled with nostalgia and home. You kept the tears back as you took a long swig. The liquid burned as it went down, but you actually liked the feeling. It was a soothing pain. It made you feel that everything was alright as long as the alcohol still burned.

      You forgot to grab the fridge doors before they slammed shut, and the resulting snap startled Gabriel awake. He sat up, snorting and flailing his arms with a shout. Your wings sprung out, nearly knocking some mugs over on the countertop. You struggled to put them back down to 'walk-around-the-house' fun-size as you strode over quickly. Gabriel looked around, still partially asleep.

      "Who-wha-...?" Gabriel asked groggily.

      "Easy, Gabe. Easy," you calmed him," I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."

      "Huh? Oh-uh... I'mma...I wasn't eh... sleeping," Gabriel mumbled as he wiped the drool off his face.

      "Uh-huh, sure," you said sarcastically, then asked," Want a beer?"

      "Sure," Gabriel agreed as he turned down the TV's volume.

      You head back to the kitchen, retrieve another beer, and then return to Gabriel. You hand him the bottle.

      "Thanks," he said.

      You nodded to him before hopping over the couch's back. The wings did half a flap instinctively as you did so, but stopped once you were next to him. You noticed him struggling to uncap the bottle and reached over to give him a hand. He thanked you again as he took a drink. Then he looked at the beer and eyed you with a raised eyebrow.

      "A little early for a drink, isn't it?" he asked.

      "I don't know," you replied," I drank at all hours at home. 'Sides, I don't really get drunk. I think the angel in me gives me some sort of tolerance to the alcohol anyways."

      "How'd you sleep last night?" Gabriel asked, trying to strike up some small talk.

      "Alright, I guess," you said," I read Cas a bedtime story. Put him right to sleep. Me too."

      "What story?"

      "Baby Angel Learns to Fly."

      "Oooh, a classic."

      "Makes me wonder what Angel School actually teaches," you said," I mean, I stayed here because I have to go to learn how to fly and use my angel powers, but the last time I was in school I didn't like it."

      "You'll learn quickly, I'm sure," Gabriel assured you.

      "I better," you said," I may lose my mind if I don't."

      "Luci said he'd take you to the school today to get you registered and set up," Gabriel added," You can ask them."

      "I might have to," you murmured.

      Cas stumbled out into the living room, looking like a zombie. You call him over and ask him if he wants a drink. He murmurs an barely coherent no as he walks around the couch to sit beside you. He slumps over onto you and you spring your wings out to make room for him. You pet him as you took another swig of whiskey-gin. The three of you watched the action movie on the TV with half an interest. Some time later, Lucifer appeared from his room. He immediately started to run around and doing all kinds of things. You looked over your shoulder and wing to watch him prep some coffee, put away dishes, sweep the floor, and wipe down the counters. All in the two minutes it took for the coffee to be made.

      Lucifer was efficient if nothing else. You felt bad, sitting on the couch and letting him do all that work by himself. But you hadn't actually noticed that it needed to be done. You sensed a lot of nervous energy coming from him. It started to become clear that the frantic cleaning was simply his way of dealing with it. Why was he nervous though? Was it because he wasn't used to the fact he had a daughter? You understood that, but was he really that insecure about acting like a father? You cringed as he almost choked on his coffee because he breathed at the wrong moment. Oh yeah. He was definitely insecure. 

      It felt strange to think of calling him Dad. You never had a father, other than Uncle Bobby, and it never really bothered you. At least not as much as not having a mother bothered you. You took another drink of whiskey-gin as Lucifer tried to get all his marbles in a line.

      "Alright... Uh... Y/n, we need to leave by 7:30 to get to the school and get you registered," Lucifer said attempting to be authoritative," So uh... get ready."

      "Okay," you said, then stood up away from Cas who sat upright and watched you leave.

      You headed into the bathroom and brushed your teeth and hair, changed clothes, then put on your shoes. You packed your satchel with a notebook, water, and the knife you'd bought several weeks ago. You weren't sure if that was allowed, so you kept it in a very secret, zippered compartment in the satchel. Then you went out to Lucifer and see if he needed help with anything.

      You ask him as much and he replies with a very flustered expression," Uh yeah... where are my shoes?"

      "By the elevator," you answered after a quick glance around the room.

      "Oh. Thanks."

      After helping him get himself ready to leave, it was about time to go. You bid farewell to Cas and Gabriel before heading out, with Lucifer in tow. Oh boy, what a great start to the day...