Breaking Wings

It had been a couple very uneventful days after the protester debacle. You and your family went out a couple times to large shops or supermarkets for basic supplies and needs. But no one really wanted to leave the flat. Everyone was pretty on edge after what you've all come to call 'the mob incident'.  Eventually the adrenaline and paranoia calmed down and everyone was acting normal again. Except you. Your back was constantly hurting and sleeping was becoming an impossibility. Even with the special mat, it was hard to keep the wings from twitching or lashing out and causing you pain.

      Some nights you woke up crying because it hurt so bad. Then Lucifer or a Winchester, or whoever was awake, would run in and massage your back to try and keep the pain at bay. It calmed the pain at first, but eventually it became too much to bear and you had to take the prescription medicine that Gadreel had prescribed you. The pills were small and tasteless, which was the good part. The bad part was, it made you dopey. You felt like you were in a hangover of a hangover's hangover. You stumbled around the flat like a bloody drunkard, mumbling incoherent requests and demands for things that made no sense. You couldn't even remember what you had said even after you came out of the daze.

      Despite the side effects, you found yourself needing the pills more and more because the wings were becoming far more painful than you had thought they would. Lucifer said it was because they were almost ready to be birthed. Which meant another visit to Gadreel. But, since you were so doped out on the pain meds, Lucifer had to bring Gadreel to the flat in order for the angel doctor to examine you.

      You laid on your stomach on your bed, on the mat, breathing through the oxygen mask, completely oblivious to the angel doctor's presence as he ran his hands over your back and wings. Lucifer stood close by with Castiel and Bobby nearby him.

      "You were correct in your assessment, Luci," Gadreel said as he stood up," The wings have finished their growth process."

      "Does that mean surgery is next?" Lucifer asked.

      "Yes," Gadreel said," I recommend you set up an appointment in the next two days. Any longer and the wings may birth themselves, and believe me... it's not pretty."

      "We will," Lucifer assured him," Thank you, my friend."

      Gadreel nodded and headed out of the room. Castiel stayed with you, sitting beside the bed, petting your hair back. Lucifer and Bobby followed Gadreel out.

      "I heard you had a little run-in with Donnie Justice," Gadreel said in conversation as Bobby shut the door behind them.

      "Yeah, lost a few feathers, but otherwise, we're fine," Lucifer said," And we only met his followers. Donnie Justice wasn't at that 'rally'."

      "You made it out lucky," Gadreel said as the three entered the living room," The hospital had 3 angels come in yesterday from a riot-sting. They were beaten by protesters and anything that could be used as a mallet."

      "Are they alright?" Bobby asked.

      "They will be," Gadreel said stopping at the elevator door, then sighed," I'm afraid this is getting out of hand. The Anti-Angel Movement is fast becoming what the Nazis were in World War II."

      "Let's hope it doesn't come to that," Lucifer said," Be safe."

      "I'll try," Gadreel said then headed into the elevator.

      As the doors shut, Bobby sighed," This reminds me of the racial segregation in our world. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, but I've never seen it as bad as this."