Best Part of Waking Up

You woke up to the sound of rain pattering across the old roof and the occasional rumble of thunder. For a moment, the events that took place in the last 24 hours seemed like they were part of some crazy whiskey-gin induced dream. But you reminded yourself that it was all true. You rocked yourself onto your side, then gasped when a sudden pain enveloping across your upper back. It was so sharp and sudden and widespread it felt like you were hit by a truck. It sucked all your breath out of your lungs.

      Catching your breath, you lay back down. You resisted the urge to cry or call for help. You could handle this. It was just pain.

      You tried to lean up but this time couldn't withhold the the sudden yelp from escaping your lips. It felt like something was pulling your skeleton apart from the inside. You scrambled to your feet, squeezing the tears in your eyes back. You stumbled into the bathroom down the hall from your room, trying desperately to keep from making a sound as you close the door behind you. You ran to the mirror above the sink and pulled your shirt up over your back, looking for anything that would cause such pain.

      You stared at your back, seeing nothing. At first. Then you see something like bones moving under your skin. You panic and pull your shirt down to hide it. You were suddenly very, very scared. You weren't sure what was happening. Did Lucifer do something to you? Only one way to find out...

      "Lucifer," you prayed under your breath," If you can hear me, you better be in my room by the time I get there. Something's wrong."

      You hurried out of the bathroom and into your room. You knew you ordered him to show up in your room, but when you saw Lucifer waiting for you, you still jumped in fright. You closed and locked your door quickly before jabbing a finger at Lucifer.

      "What did you do to me?!" you hissed under your breath.

      Lucifer backed up, holding his hands out ever so slightly to try and calm you down.

      "Y/n, Y/n calm down, please," Lucifer cooed softly," What happened?"

      "My back hurts," you squeaked out as your anger turned into pain and tears," And-and it's like something's inside me... and it hurts! It's hurts so bad!"

      "Alright, alright," Lucifer said taking a few tentative steps closer to you," Remember what I said about sprouting?"

      It took a moment for his words to be processed in your pain-filled brain, but once they hit, you felt a sort of relief. You tried to catch you breath as you nodded.

      "I didn't think it was possible for you to have not been born with wings," Lucifer said, tilting his head back and forth as he looked your face over," I'm sorry that it hurts..."

      "How- how do I- st-stop it?" you asked through your tears.

      "I- I'm not sure," Lucifer said," Maybe if you lay down it won't hurt as bad."

      "Okay," you murmured breathily, desperate for any sort of relief.

      You collapsed onto your mattress and pulled your blanket and pillow under your head, burying your tear streaked face into the soft fabric. You feel Lucifer sit down next to you and brush his hand across your back. You moaned at the feeling of pain and relief it caused.

      "Shhh, it's okay," Lucifer shushed you, gently rubbing and kneading your back in a sort of massage," Just relax. I'll figure out how to help you, I promise."

      You were in too much pain to say anything or to fight against his attempts to soothe the pain. The massage actually seemed to help a little. Not much, but it wasn't as intense as it had been when you first woke up. Somehow, you managed to doze off. Leaving the pain in the waking world, and finding solace in the dreaming one.

      "Hey, come on girl, wake up," Bobby called as he shook your shoulder.

      You woke with a start, picking your head up and spluttering at the locks of hair dangling in your face. Bobby rubbed your shoulder before standing up.

      "Huh? Wha-... Uncle Bobby?" you murmured sleepily.

      "It's 12 o'clock, Y/n," Bobby said quietly," I was beginning to think you died in your sleep."

      "Uh, no, no, no, no," you rambled as you looked around the room.

      "Is something wrong?" Bobby asked.

      "Uh, no, no, no, no," you rambled some more, shaking your head vigorously to try and shake the sleep loose from your brain," Must have been a dream."

      "Must've," Bobby agreed, then cleared his throat before asking," I've got lunch ready downstairs. And if that's not enough to get you up, then I might have a case nearby that you and the boys could take."

      You woke right up," Really?!"

      "Yeah," Bobby said with a grin," Get your butt downstairs and I'll fill you in."

      "Yes sir," you saluted him as you jumped from the bed and ran downstairs with only a couple fumbling steps.

      Bobby sighed then looked around the room curiously. Something felt off, but in a way that didn't feel dangerous or menacing. It just felt like there was an extra person in the room. One that Bobby couldn't see or feel. He checked if he could see his breath. Nope. Bobby checked the EMF reader in his pocket. Also nothing. It wasn't a ghost, but then again, maybe it was nothing. Bobby left the room, thoroughly confused, but otherwise not tipped off of the brownish-blonde archangel standing invisible in the corner. Lucifer took a deep, shaky sigh of relief as he watched the senior hunter leaving the room. Then he headed downstairs to watch over his daughter.

      You were eating the ham and cheese and lettuce sandwich that Bobby had set out for you, bouncing in beat to a song that was stuck in your head as you chewed. Bobby was cleaning up the kitchen, wiping it down with a wet wipe and drying it off with a towel. You swallowed your last bite of the sandwich and picked up the plate and placed it carefully into the semi-full sink.

      "So what's this new hunt?" you asked.

      "It's another ghost one," Bobby said," A couple hours east. Sounds like a routine salt-and-burn."

      "Victims?" you asked.

      "Three. All killed in one night by strangulation," Bobby said," Apparently, the ghost's name is John Taylor. Buried in Cross Cemetery, plot B, grave #13. You and the boys are going to salt-it-burn-it tonight."

      "No investigation?" you asked.

      "Nah, Garth already did," Bobby said," And he's a bit high profile right now, so it would be safer for him to skip town while you take care of the corpse."

      "Cool," you said as you started to put away the dried dishes from the drying rack.

      Bobby glanced at you, acting as though he was going to say something else, but he didn't. Instead he started to wash the dishes in the sink. You wanted to say something, but couldn't find anything to talk about. So you stood by the sink and listened to the sound of running water and clinking plates and silverware until the silence between the two of you was all that was to be heard.