Chapter Five

The family took me in and silence continued. I still didn't say much. I was being extremely short with everyone, not in a mean way, just short answers. This was a new environment for me and they were extremely understanding of what I was feeling.

"Charlee, I know all of this might be a little overwhelming so if you'd like me to show your room I'd love too. It will help give you a bit of privacy to let all this sink in." I nodded my head.

My foster mom showed me up to my room in this massive house. It felt like we walked forever to get there. Somehow it was calming to know that for just a short time I'd get real privacy for once in my life. Most of all, I was ready to see what was in the bag and note that I had received when I was dropped off at the front of this house.

I shut my door behind me once my foster mom left the room. The first thing I opened was the bag. I pulled out the one object that made Pierce who Pierce was, his leather jacket. I pulled it on over myself and pulled it tightly to my chest. It still smelled like him. It took me back to having his lips on mine, having him so close. A memory that ran through my mind every single day. I couldn't believe that after three months, I could still have him with me every day.

Next, I opened the note. A note that broke me in the best way someone could be broken.

Charlee,

If you are reading this, you've found a family who will one day care about you in the same way that I do. Even though I might never see you again you will always be on my mind. You will always have me for comfort. Hold this note, hold my jacket, and remember us. We had each other in the hardest times of our lives. The times when we had no one but ourselves. You are my forever. I believe that one day we will find each other again. I can't wait to see the way your eyes light up when you see me from across the room. Don't fight me on it because it happens. It didn't happen but he wasn't here to fight me on it. I can't wait to watch your smiles grow wide as you laugh at my stupidity. I can't wait to run my hands over all your past embedded in your skin. I can promise you that I do miss this. I'm sorry that I hurt you. I'm sorry we never had our goodbye like we should have. Until next time Baker.

Much love xx Pierce Kingston

My fingers ran over the words that were pressed into the paper. A tear of happiness but also sadness started to fall from my eyes but I wiped it away quickly. I was happy that Pierce had taken his time to do something so special. And I was sad because it brought how much he cared about me back into my mind.

I folded the note up and put it back in the envelope that read my name. The note took its place in the table beside my bed. I placed it under my favorite book that way no one could easily see the note. That note would be my saving grace on a lot of my bad days.

My first night in this new home came to a close. I didn't see my foster family the rest of the night. I didn't even leave my room. There was no need to. Everything I needed was inside the 4 walls of my bedroom, even a bathroom was connected to my room. No need to see anyone. It was a big change from everything I had grown up knowing my entire life.

The next day I was awakened by my foster brother banging on my door. It made me jump out of bed with a scream. He peeked his head in to my room to make sure I was fine.

"Sorry I didn't mean to startle you. Just time to get ready for school." I fell back onto my bed pulling the blankets over my head. "We're out of here in an hour." I groaned and rolled out of bed.

Getting ready didn't take long. Showering and putting on clean clothes was all I needed to do. I wanted to be myself but I also wanted to make sure I didn't stand out. The last thing I put on before walking out the door of my room was Pierce's black leather jacket. If I was going to be starting at a new school, I needed to feel comfort in some way. His jacket was all I could think of to find a bit of comfort.