Chapter 16: Huang Renjun

Renjun exited the art room, letting out a sigh of relief and let the cold air filtering through the hallway brush over his body. He shivered slightly, pulling his falling apart scarf tighter around his neck and pulling his coat closer around his body, hugging himself now that he wasn't holding his midterm.

He had just handed in his last midterm project before winter break and he felt so liberated now that school work wasn't dragging his life down. He could finally work more hours at the parlor too, a small smile making its way on his face as he realized he could spend more time doing what he loved.

Renjun strolled through the empty hallways, many students already done with midterms and tests, heading back to their families while Renjun stayed behind on the still campus. He slammed the doors open outside and recoiled at the brisk wind, quickly working to settle into his bones.

He let out a harsh puff of air, his warm breath coming into contact with the frigid air, blowing smoke into the air. He saw snowflakes begin to chase each other through the air as snow clouds rolled in, pushing and pulling in the atmosphere above him.

It had been a little over two months since he had started dating Jeno and Jaemin.

It was halfway through December and the coldest time of the year. Renjun had been in a state of euphoria these past months he spent with Jaemin and Jeno. Their relationship was so new and so passion-filled that Renjun found even when school was overwhelming him one smile from his lovers could keep him going for days.

They had gone on countless dates, ranging from stay in movies that included throwing popcorn, laughter, and the warmth of body heat to going out to eat, once including a suit and tie dress code ending with frantic hands and hot skin as dress shirts were thrown around the bedroom.

Renjun wasn't walking fast, no matter how much the wind pushed him, no matter how cold wrapped around his small body. He loved the winter, it was his favorite season. Sure it was cold but he enjoyed wrapping himself in countless blankets, drinking hot chocolate, curling up next to a small heater with a book in hand or his sketchbook.

His eyes glittered as they roamed over the campus grounds. Lights had been hung everywhere, some a bright and flickering yellow while others flashed colors like red, blue, and green. The pine trees had lights and decorations thrown haphazardly around, mostly piled towards the bottom as students had failed to find a tall enough latter.

The pine trees.

Renjun closed his eyes for a second, pausing in step as he inhaled deeply, the overpowering and much-welcomed scent of pine filling his nose. It reminded him of Jeno. Jeno's messy hair in the morning when they woke up curled and intertwined together. Jeno's eye smile that seemed to stop everyone around him just so they could stare. The feeling of jealousy that followed and Jaemin and Renjun pulled him away so only they could see that heaven-sent smile. The glasses that he put on sometimes when he pulled Renjun onto his lap so they could read together. The blue cardigan that he'd constantly wear through the coldening weather, the black hoodie that he constantly wore since Jaemin and Renjun had slowly been stealing all of his. That special tattoo that boldly sat on his hip, only for Renjun and Jaemin to see.

God, he was so much in love.

He picked up his feet again to continue to his destination: the coffee shop. A constant through the months.

Renjun's eyes watched as he saw couples and friends playing outside in the newly fallen snow, while others kept their heads low, body's close, and hands intertwined as they raced to the warmth of their dorms.

Renjun's thoughts drifted to Jaemin.

Jaemin, who smelled so strongly of day-old coffee, whose pink hair was fading and needed serious re-dyeing, whose teasing smile but caring nature kept his sleepless some nights as they cuddled together. Who had recently taken to cooking in the kitchen with Renjun, experimenting, yelling, and joking as Jeno sat on the counter watching. Jaemin who spent hours painting and drawing with Renjun in the art room and spent hours more at the tattoo parlor. Jaemin who constantly stole and stole and stole thousands of kisses from the two and grabbed on tight at night, almost like he would lose them if he didn't. The layers he would throw together as the degrees dropped from 45 to 20, blue turtleneck under a black sweater, a white button-up under a striped sweater.