Chapter 23: Lee Jeno

The thin wisp of smoke spiraled from the open cup of coffee as it warmed the palm of his hand. Sweat rolled down the back of his neck in the warm coffee shop. The window revealed green grass that swayed with the spring wind and the seasonal trees shimmered as they just finished filling out in vibrate shades of green.

Much more vibrate in the midday sunlight than the sunless evening that rolled over the campus.

The smell of coffee beans filled his nose as the steady thrum of music filled his ears, absent of any side conversation. The only sound in the otherwise empty shop and the soft guitar were the whispered murmurs between Johnny and Jaehyun behind the counter.

The lip of the cup pressed slightly against his chapped lips as he sipped the caffeine, something he shouldn't have been drinking so late in the day.

He wished he asked for a colder drink, the warm beverage not helping the thirst that crawled up his throat. He licked his lips to provide easement as he placed his cup back down on the lonesome table.

The two chairs that normally occupied the table had been pulled away earlier to join other, more crowded tables. Jeno's phone lay face up in front of him, teasing him as his unanswered texts repeatedly flashed onto the screen.

Junnie:
Jaemin and I can't make it
Busy day at the parlor

Jeno tried to ignore the ache in his chest and the sickening feeling that was beginning to form in his gut.

His other hand rested comfortably on his thigh as he continued to stare blankly out the revealing window.

The soft music flitted in and out of his ears as the smell of coffee beans flowed through his nostrils.

Spring had taken over the campus, blessing the students with warm weather, cooling winds, and sunny days to combat the stress that college so often brought with it. Many students chose these bright and cheerful days to race outside with their friends or partners, traveling to the mall and other various events that the campus hosted.

Except for Jeno.

Jeno stayed behind and watched as Mark was constantly seen laughing with Haechan, the two quickly becoming the most popular couple on campus due to their radiating happiness they brought everywhere with them.

He had oftentimes said a teasing 'have fun' to Chenle and Jisung as Chenle usually comes to Jisung and Jeno's dorm to take Jisung out to enjoy the weather together. His facade falling as the door closed time and time again, shutting him into his own mind.

Jeno watched as he lay in his own form bed, phone lighting up with apologetic texts that soon became regular texts.

I have to stay longer than usual
I'll see you soon my love

Jae has to stay longer so I'll just wait for him, don't wait up for us

Sorry, I didn't realize I would be so late
You'll just have to stay at your own dorm

I'll just start giving you the key instead
Sorry we'll be late

Go to bed
don't expect us back early
sorry.

We have to cancel our plans to go to the fair
A good opportunity came up for us and we need to take it