Chapter 2: Game plan

At this point, Colby had no idea what he was doing. He was sitting in English with Finley and his other friend Sophie who were rattling on about something intellectual. His thoughts were too clouded with thoughts of stupid Ezra.

"I hate Macbeth in this passage," said Finley.

"You know who I hate?" Asked Colby.

"Ezra." Sophie and Finley said in unison.

"Yeah! How'd you guys know?"

"Who doesn't know. You talk about him all the time." Said Sophie.

"No I don't! I have better things to talk about than that-"

"-dickhead." Said Sophie and Finley, once again in unison. Colby decided to just be quiet now. There was no way they were right. As if Colby would ever waste his breathe on Ezra. Well technically, he did just a minute ago but that was different.

Finley and Sophie resumed there smart talk when they were sure Colby wasn't going to pipe up again.

"Why do you hate Macbeth?" Asked Sophie. She took a bobble from her wrist and tied back her long auburn hair. The silver crucifix that she often wore around her neck swung out from the collar of her shirt as she tilted her head forward. "He's just doing what Lady Macbeth is telling him to."

"Exactly." Said Finley. "He's got no backbone. He just lets her command him to do whatever she wants and now he's gone and killed somebody."

"She manipulated him, so it's more her fault than his."

"Is not. He still killed the king, she didn't force him to take the knife and stab him."

"You're not being very sympathetic."

"These characters don't deserve my sympathy." And that was that. There was no more arguing with Finley, he'd stated his point, asserted his opinion and there wasn't a thing in the world that could change his mind about it.

Sophie didn't bother to argue her point again, Colby too didn't bother trying to change Finley's mind, even though he had his own thoughts on the matter. Finley made it clear that he wasn't interested in Macbeth anymore as he began to fiddle with the gold rings he wore on his fingers. Some were plain bands and others were more decorative with small engravings or rhinestones, they contrasted beautifully against his dark brown skin.

Did Colby need to invest in some jewellery?

"Did Ezra actually do something to you today, Colby?" Asked Sophie.

"Woah, woah, woah. What do you mean 'did he actually do something' he's always doing something!"Ezra was an asshole to Colby. Okay, yeah, maybe he didn't always actively do something. Ezra wasn't going around giving Colby wedgies or putting his head down toilets or giving him purple nurples or Chinese burns, but somebody didn't have to get physical to still be a dick. Ezra was worse than a random bully who could physically abuse Colby and who everybody in the school knew was like that. No, Ezra was a secret asshole.

He would exclude Colby -and only Colby- from certain activities in the football club, which was definitely abusing his position as captain. He would invite the entire school round for a party except from Colby. He wouldn't pass to Colby when they were playing football. He wouldn't say hi to Colby in the corridors. He wouldn't even make eye contact with Colby when they spoke to each other!

He was an awful person and the worst thing about him was that only Colby knew it. Everybody else loved him.

Ezra the golden boy. Ezra the future supermodel. Ezra the most likely candidate for valedictorian.

Only Colby knew what Ezra was really like, that Ezra put the dick valedictorian. Screw that guy.

Finley stopped fiddling with his rings (did he get even more since the last time Colby saw him?) and rested his head on the desk to look at Colby. "So what did he do this time?"