Chapter 14: Better as...

What. The. Fuck.

It was Sophie? Colby's Sophie? Sweet, little Sophie that used to help Colby with his maths homework when they were younger because he was too stupid to do it by himself? The Sophie that let Colby cry on her shoulder after he found out Joanna was cheating on him? That Sophie?

No way. She would never send that picture to Colby, it just wasn't in her nature. She was an innocent and nice person. Sending the photo of Colby and Ezra making out at the party was beneath her, she wouldn't do it. There had to be a mistake.

"Colby, you alright, man?" Finley asked.

Colby didn't respond, he couldn't find the words. He passed his phone over to Finley so that he could see who sent the message. Everyone else at the table stared at the two curiously as Finley's jaw dropped. Finley kept glancing between the phone and Colby, obviously going through the same thoughts Colby had had.

"It must be a mistake." Colby said but even he wasn't convinced by his words.

Finley shook his head.

"Are either of you two gonna tell us what you're looking at or is it a secret?" Asked Sophie with a giggle.

Colby stared at her in disbelief. His Sophie wouldn't do that. She would never try and blackmail Colby with that photo. But maybe it wasn't blackmail? Maybe she was trying to warn Colby of what he had done at the party? Yeah. That made more sense. Sophie was just trying to give him a heads up in case other people had found out. Right?

"It's a secret between bros." Finley said. "Some things aren't meant for the delicate eyes of a lady." Sophie looked disgusted by Finley's answer, god knows what she thought he meant.

Colby didn't know what to do now. Why would Sophie -his oldest friend- send him that photo anonymously? It made no sense.

"Are you okay?" Colby awoke from his internal conflict at the sound of Ezra's genuine concern. There was nothing special about the way Ezra was looking at Colby. However, the simple gesture of Ezra being concerned about him after the fight they had, made Colby's heart swell. Colby wanted to kiss him, he was kiss deprived since Ezra refused to give them out anymore.

Colby smiled and replied a bit more cheery than he really felt: "Yeah, I'm good." Ezra nodded and turned away but Colby continued to watch him happily as Ezra resumed writing his notes. It was then that he had the smallest revelation of what he wanted to have with Ezra.

"What are you staring at, Colbs?" He was taken aback by the anger in Sophie's tone, she was grinning at him but it looked forced. She acted so strange when Ezra was involved. Colby looked to Finley who was glaring at Sophie who was glaring at Colby, it was a silent Mexican stand off.

"Shoot!" Brent exclaimed, looking at his wrist watch. "I need to get home." He was about to get up when he nervously glanced at Finley. "Do you... want to come round for dinner?"

Finley stopped his glaring and his face exploded into a wide smile. "I'd love to! Oh wait, but-" he looked at Colby apologetically. Colby grinned and mouthed 'go' to him. "I'll call you later." The two left the library together. Colby laughed to himself at seeing the height difference between them. Brent was super tall and Finley looked like a little gnome next to him.

The remaining three: Ezra, Sophie and Colby sat around the table in an unbearable silence. He wanted to go home, he felt like an idiot sitting there as Sophie tried to flirt with Ezra but that was the exact reason why he couldn't leave.

Sophie would "accidentally" nudge Ezra's side or scoot closer to him to get his attention. Ezra, in turn, would smile at her and chuckle at the things she whispered to him. They would make a cute couple. It was all Colby could think about. He really should go home and leave them to it but he couldn't, because for every smile and chuckle Ezra gave to Sophie, he gave Colby a quick look from the corner of his eye and that was all Colby needed to stay.