Chapter 12: Rock and a hard place

The atmosphere was stiff as Colby and Ezra waited outside of Coach Clain's office.

Ezra still wouldn't even look at Colby. His eyes never leaving the office door, as if he was trying to will Coach to hurry up so he could leave. His entire body was taut. A small muscle in his jaw kept twitching every time he tensed up and his back was as straight as a pole.

Colby felt like he should say something -break the tension- but Ezra wasn't saying anything either. Hell, Ezra looked like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world right now.

Colby just needed to bite the bullet and say something but he was pretty pissed off with Ezra's behaviour. What did he mean "nothing matters" to Colby? That made him sound like some emotionless asshole. Which he was not! Ezra was the one being an asshole right now with his unwarranted aggression towards Colby. Colby should still be mad at him for sleeping with Joanna, just because he told Colby about all those other guys that did the same thing, didn't mean Ezra didn't do it.

He wanted to talk to Ezra though. He just didn't know what to say. He was torn between 'I'm sorry about Sunday' and 'why haven't you apologised to me about Sunday.'

Eventually he decided a simple 'About Sunday' might be the best way to start, to gage Ezra's reaction to it. Maybe that'll prompt him to apologise to Colby.

Colby sat there for a couple of minutes trying to will the words out of his throat. The tension in the room kept forcing them back down. His heart was racing, it was two words that he needed to say but he just couldn't do it.

Okay, 3... 2... 1... "About Sunday." Colby's voice cracked as he said it.

Ezra didn't move a muscle. He didn't even acknowledge that he'd heard Colby. "I don't want to fucking talk about it." He snarled.

This asshole, Colby thought, grinding his teeth together. "You know what? I don't get why you're acting so pissy with me. You should be begging for my forgiveness after the horrible shit you said or would that be too much for your pride to handle."

That got Ezra's attention. He snapped his head towards Colby and glared at him with such a fury that Colby had never seen on him. "I said some horrible shit? How dare you say that to me after what you did." Just as tears began to form in Ezra's eyes he turned away from Colby. "You know... when you first kissed me in the shower I... I thought you realised-"

"Realised what?" Colby tried to coerce him to continue but to no avail, the silence from before once again filled the room.

Coach Clain came out her office a few minutes later.

"What happened on the field today was unacceptable. I do not tolerate that kind of behaviour, you have embarrassed yourselves and disappointed me. As punishment, you both have detention after school every day this week. Now fuck off." She waved her hand dismissively and went back into her office.

Colby glared at the door in disbelief. "She made us stay here for an hour... to tell us that?"

Ezra made no effort to reply as he picked up his bag and silently left the room. His walk was more sluggish than usual, his feet dragging across the floor with every tired step.

"Hey! I'm not done talking to you yet." Colby called after him. He whipped his bag onto his back and made haste after Ezra. Why? He wasn't quite sure, but he felt like he needed to.

"What more is there left to say, Colby?" Ezra snapped. "Pretty sure you made your feelings about me crystal clear."

How was he supposed to respond to that? Oh sorry Ezra, I did mean to get revenge on you for the Joanna incident but the sex was so good, I completely forgot about it. Colby was dumb but he wasn't stupid, at least not stupid enough to say something like that. But sex- sex could work.