Part One, Chapter Five

They call it judgement day when it comes, because that's exactly what it is really. They get told whether or not they can keep the boys permanently and that's that. Judgement day.

And it's a big deal. Zayn has to be up at the asscrack of dawn in order to make sure he hasn't missed any spots whilst shaving the previous night and then get the boys up and ready whilst Louis makes sure they have all of their papers and forms and anything else they might need before they leave.

He makes an effort to make sure the kids are all dressed smart, button-up shirts and smart looking dark jeans for Harry and Liam and a cute little polo and jeans for Niall; cooks them up a big breakfast that Harry nervously picks at and Niall stains his shirt with meaning Zayn has to redress him. Then they all pile into the car, only today isn't just the school run.

They're going to the court offices on the other side of town. And if all goes well, they'll be finalising the adoption of the two boys that day.

He smiles at his husband as they shudder to a stop in front of the building. It's a similar feeling to the day that they had gone to Merrywell to meet the boys; only very different at the same time because the boys are there with them this time, Harry and Liam in booster seats and Niall in his car seat. Plus, the building in front of them is nothing like the dreary scene that is Merrywell. This place is wealthy and posh, with colourful gardens in front and tall white beams on the porch.

They both turn to face the kids in the back, Niall completely oblivious and kicking his little feet off of the edge of the seat, Liam chewing on his lip with a vengeance and Harry looking nervous.

"They can't say no, can they?" He asks timidly, and Zayn wishes he could promise him that they can't. He knows that isn't the case.

So he just smiles reassuringly and reaches out to squeeze the kid's hand gently. "Hey. You don't need to worry about anything, okay?" He says, and the five year old looks a little uncertain before he gives a small nod.

Niall strains against his belt at that, craning his neck to look past Liam in the middle and frown at Harry. "Don' be sad! S'a pretty house, look," he says, jabbing his finger into his window in the direction of the building.

Zayn manages a small chuckle at that, before glancing at the time and turning to Louis. "We'd better get in now, don't you think?" He says softly, and the other man releases a long breath before nodding.

"Yeah," he breathes, leaning in to press a quick kiss to Zayn's lips before he turns to the boys with a smile. "You boys all set to do this?" He asks, and Harry just gives an uncertain nod whilst Niall starts doing the 'itsy bitsy spider' and singing the song whilst watching a bug crawl up the outside of his window.

Liam shrugs. "Do I have to talk to the people?" He asks, sounding a little anxious, and Zayn is quick to reassure him whilst Louis gets out and starts unbuckling Harry from his seat.

"Maybe bud, but I don't think there'll be any tough questions," he says, and Liam swallows and nods slightly, climbing out after Harry.

Once they're all out, Niall in Louis' arms to prevent the toddler from sprinting away because he's surprisingly fast and extremely energised considering he's barely been awake for forty-five minutes, they have to go through the process of signing in at the front desk and then they're lead to a well-decorated waiting room by the receptionist.

Niall seems to treat it as an adventure playground, climbing under and over the chairs and sitting down next to an old lady, babbling on to her whilst she tries to nod and shake her head in all the right places, looking a little lost.

Eventually, Zayn stands up to whisk the boy away, offering a quick apology to the woman, who laughs it off before going back to her magazine.

"Do we all go in together?" Harry asks quietly when Zayn sits back down with them, Niall squirming around on his lap, trying to break free and probably harass another stranger.