Interlude Three, Chapter Four

Zayn is only half surprised when the door knocks in the middle of the night a few nights later, and he opens it up to find a panicked looking Liam on his doorstep. Most of that surprise is simply because he'd expected it to happen much sooner.

"We're having a girl," he blurts our immediately, and it takes Zayn a moment to process the words before he steps aside and hustles his son inside and out of the chilled summer night air.

A girl. He's going to have a granddaughter.
He grins, warmth spreading through him as he closes the front door quietly so as not to disturb the boys upstairs.

"Li, that's wonderful," he says, then frowns when he sees his oldest son shaking his head, eyes wide. "Or it's not? What -"

"Pops, I don't know anything about raising a girl. I - I've only got brothers and Em's literally the only female in my life - and - and it's not even just that, it's kids in general. I used to have breakdowns babysitting Ni and Haz for like, an hour when we were younger. How am I meant to babysit a kid full time? Not even just a kid, a baby? What if I accidentally kill it -"

Zayn decides to cut off the kid's (young man's, technically, but in his eyes, the boys are always just going to be babies) rambling with a raised hand and a shake of his head. "Woah, woah, woah. You're spiralling, kiddo, like how Dad spirals - and nothing good ever comes from that," he says softly.

Liam's brown eyes stay wide and anxious, though he lets out a small huff of breath and allows his shoulders to droop a little.

He smiles at the boy. "Kick your shoes off and you can come watch a movie with me and the old man," he says with a smirk, grinning when Liam manages a small laugh.

His hands come to rest on Liam's shoulders once his shoes are off, squeezing gently. "I get that you're scared, and it's normal. Completely normal. When I first met your Dad and then you...I was completely shitting myself," that earns him another laugh. "I didn't think I was good with kids either, but I think I did an okay job with you and your brothers. You'll be an amazing father, Li. That little girl is going to adore every second spent with you."

He means the words wholeheartedly too, the lump in his throat seconding that. He's watched Liam grow up; seen him transform from an anxiety-riddled, shy little kid scared of the entire world to a young man with confidence and the strength to move mountains. The world is his oyster and hell, Zayn knows for a fact that he'll be a father like no other in the best possible way.

Liam sniffs, looking up at him with teary eyes. "Thanks, Papa," he murmurs, leaning into him for a hug - and it still takes him by surprise when the kid is practically the same size as him when he wraps his arms around his shoulders.

He pulls away after a moment, looking a little sheepish.

"Maybe - maybe don't tell anyone else that we're having a girl, though? Em wants to do this whole gender reveal thing," he mumbles, making Zayn chuckle and clap a hand on his back.

"Secrets safe with me, bud."

There's movement at the top of the stairs then, and Liam comes out of his room with his phone in his hand, frowning when he squints down into the hallways and sees the two men.

"Li? The hell are you doing here? It's like one in the morning," he mutters, and Zayn smiles when Liam scoffs, seeming less panicked already.

"Nice to see you too. Why aren't you asleep?" He retorts.

Harry scoffs then, shoving his big brother in the shoulder when he reaches the bottom of the stairs. "Was speaking to Brad if you must know, Dad," he teases.

Zayn steps in there, ruffling both of their hair before pretending to butt their heads together. "Alright, alright. Guess you're both intruding on mine and your Dad's movie night," he groans dramatically, leading them both into the living room. "Where is Em, by the way?" He directs to the older of the two boys, who shrugs.

"Spent the night at her best friends. Something about planning the nursery decorations," he says with a small wince. "I kind of freaked out on her before she left. I'll call her first thing."

"When aren't you freaking out?" Harry teases, earning himself another shove from the older boy.

Zayn tuts, grinning when they walk into the dark living room, the only light spilling from the TV screen as the movie plays. Louis turns on the couch, brows rising when his eyes land on the boys.

"Li? What're you doing here, kiddo?" He asks, and Liam doesn't bother answering, just flops down on the couch next to the man and rests his head on his shoulder.

Louis doesn't even question it, settling an arm over his shoulder and resting his cheek atop of his head in the same way he would when Liam was little. Harry climbs up on the opposite side of his brother, settling his head on his lap and stretching his long legs out along the length of the couch.

Zayn smiles at the scene for a moment, before he lifts the seventeen year olds legs and settles them down in his lap when he sits. The moment feels very reminiscent of past times, where they would all curl up on the couch like this when the boys were so much smaller, childish movie playing lowly on the TV. The only one missing in Niall, and as if sensing that he's being left out of something, a small figure steps into the room, silently curling up into a small ball on the other side of Zayn, tucking himself beneath his arm.

The youngest rubs at his eye with his sleeve tiredly, smiling when Zayn presses a kiss to the top of his head.

Liam glances across and catches his eye as the other focus on the movie. He smiles a little turning back into Louis' side.

"I've got a lot to live up to."

AN:
i hate this entire interlude. i swear part four is going to make up for it :(