Part Four, Chapter Six

Louis stands in the doorway of the living room for a moment before he leaves, lips pursed as he chews on the inside of his cheek worriedly.

Harry is meant to be here today, only he'd texted last minute to say he couldn't make it - something about a forgotten assignment. And he knows for a fact that the kid wouldn't bail when he had made a promise to Niall just because of schoolwork. Obviously he knows how important his education is to him; but more important than his family? It just isn't like the eighteen year old. They haven't seen him in weeks, which is a red flag in itself since the kid has never lasted more than a couple weeks without coming home before now.

Niall's upset, he can tell too. The kid had tried to cover it up with an understanding nod and a forced smile, but Louis knows his boys well enough to be able to tell what they're really feeling (well, most of the time, at least) - and Niall's been down for a while now as it is. Since Zayn had picked him up from school early at the end of last week, he hadn't really spoken to them. Every waking moment he's either going out for a run or he's staying in bed and barely making an appearance other than to get food or say hi when Liam, Emily and Gracie come over. He's worried about the fifteen year old as well; but he knows that the kid will always speak to Harry before he speaks to them, meaning that he has to try and fix the whole Harry situation before he can move onto helping their youngest.

"You gonna be okay down here by yourself, kiddo?" He calls out softly from the doorway, brows tugged together as he watches the small blond pull the blanket up over himself a little further from his space lay on the couch, head on the arm rest, eyes focused on some show on the TV.

The teen gives a noncommittal hum and nods, not look away.

Louis sighs. "Papa's upstairs anyway but he's got a bunch of video calls for work, so make sure you knock if you really need anything, okay?" He says, as if the kid doesn't already know all of this. "You could still call Luke if you want him over. The two of you need to catch up anyway -"

"Dad, it's fine," Niall says softly from the couch, turning to look at him now, eyes tired. "I'm fine. I just don't get why you won't let me come with you," he huffs.

Louis winces at that. He hadn't intended to upset the kid further by telling him to stay home whilst he drives over to the uni. It's just that, if there is something bad going on with Harry (and he really hopes there isn't but he's an anxious mess himself and his brain has been conjuring up the absolute worst scenarios for what could be making him stay away), then he doesn't think it would be beneficial for Niall to be there. Especially not when he isn't on top form himself.

"Ni, you know why -"

"Which is exactly why I should come," he argues, sitting up now, frowning over the back of the couch at the man. "If Harry's going through something, then - then I should be there for him. He's my big brother -"

"And I know that, sweetheart. You two love each other more than anything, but let me be the grown up here, okay? Besides, he's probably fine, so don't worry yourself, okay?" And he knows that that statement is more than just a tad hypocritical given the thoughts rushing through his own mind.

He takes the time to move over to the couch, sitting beside the youngest as the kid scratches subconsciously at the inside of his left wrist. Louis catches his hand and gives it a squeeze, making him look up with concerned eyes.

"He wouldn't just - he wouldn't just break a promise because of schoolwork, Dad. I know he wouldn't, not unless he - unless I've done something wrong. I don't - I should come so I can fix it," he starts, eyes tearing up slightly.

Hating to see any of his boys upset, he doesn't hesitate in lifting his free hand to cup the side of the fifteen year olds face, leaning in to press a kiss to his forehead atop of the blond hair flattened against it from lying down.