Part Two, Chapter Two

Liam can barely stand to look at the bowl of cereal in front of him at the table that morning. School would be starting in less than an hour, and he's certain that his stomach is in actual ribbons. He feels sick, and his anxiety is the highest it's been in the longest time. Probably since he had started high school.

He isn't even sure why exactly. He supposed it has something to be with the grades he had received before school let out for Christmas. They hadn't been the worst, but definitely not what he had been aiming for.

Now he has exams again in two weeks, and even though they aren't his finals, he still can't help but work himself up about them. His friends are all smart, and it seems as if they don't even have to study to achieve the highest grades, whilst Liam has to work his ass off until the early hours. He supposes the lack of sleep probably won't be helpful in the long run, but it's helping for now.

And even as he's sitting there with the morning hustle of his family around him, he can recall the quadratic formula with ease now.

"Eat up, Li, you still haven't packed your school bag or anything yet," Dad hurries, trying to get Niall to sit down at the table to eat.

The eight year old is giggling, ducking out of the way and eventually crawling underneath the table. "No, Daddy! I hate school! I don't wanna go!" He yells, and Liam sighs as his youngest brother cling onto his ankles whilst he makes an attempt to eat his breakfast.

Harry sits opposite him, already tidy in his uniform and crunching on his toast, fingers tapping against the table rapidly and almost nervously.

Papa seems to notice from his space leaning on the counter behind him, sipping on a coffee. He leans down and presses a kiss to the top of his head. "You okay, Haz?" He asks, and the eleven year old nods.

"M'okay Papa," he answers quickly, cheeks turning pink in a way that makes Liam raise an eyebrow. His brother looks to him. "Um, I don't need to come with you and Emily in the car, Li. I'm gonna walk with my friends," he says, and Liam frowns but gives a shrug.

"Okay. Just find me at school if you need a ride home," he says, and Harry nods, turning back to his toast.

Meanwhile, Niall's small fingers are pinching into Liam's ankles and he sighs, trying to kick him off gently.

"Ni! Pack it in," he huffs, and the boy squeals.

"Li! Help!" He yelps as their Dad crawls under the table as well, catching onto the small boy and hauling him out, almost tugging Liam off of his chair with him. "No, Daddy! I wanna stay with you!"

Dad raises an eyebrow at that. "Ni, I'm one of your teachers. That means going to school," he says, and Niall hesitates before looking up at their Papa instead. At this point, the eight year old's primary school uniform is twisted and his hair is all stuck up, cheeks bright red.

"Papa! Can I go with you?" He asks instead, and the man chuckles, shaking his head.

"You gotta go back to school, Shorty," he says, making the eight year old pout, shoulders slumping. "Hey. You'll get to see Danny again, you've missed him, huh? Maybe we can ask him over for dinner tonight?"

At the mention of his best friend, Niall jumps up with a grin, turning to Dad with wide eyes. "Yes! Please, Daddy! Can he?" He asks, already far too excited for them to tell him 'no'. He, Danny and Luke have been best friends since pre-school, and Niall and Danny in particular have always been inseparable.

Dad smiles, lifting Niall and setting him down on one of the chairs at the table with a bowl of coco pops in front of him. "I don't see why not. I'll ask his mother if I catch her before school starts," he says, and Niall ticks into his breakfast immediately, with their Dad mouthing a 'thank you' to their Papa behind his back.