Interlude Four, Extra Nine

Fixer Upper
[the one where harry decides he's going to be a vet and is determined to start at the age of seven — set between part one and interlude one]

Zayn knew how much of a sweet and sensitive kid Harry was the moment he first met him and Niall in the children's home that first day — but no matter how much time passes by, this little boy will constantly raise the bar and blow them all away with just how much kindness is in that heart of his.

It starts with a ladybird in the back garden at the start of spring.

Zayn had been sitting on the bench out the back of the house, spending his day off of work sketching whilst the boys all ran around playing, only to drop everything and run when the seven year old screams from the top of the garden.

"Papa!"

Instantly, of course, his mind had turned to the worst case scenario involving bloody injuries and ambulance rides — only to reach the shaded area beneath the trees at the top of the yard and see one curly haired boy crouched down over a pile of leaves with wide eyes, holding a finger to his lips.

Zayn frowns in confusion, glancing over his shoulder to where Liam is running laps around the grass with a squealing Niall on his back, before he turns back to his middle son and, as quietly as he's able to, kneels down beside him.

"What is it?" He asks in a whisper, still moderately concerned that the boy has injured himself and is simply trying to brave about it.

But then Harry slowly, carefully, lifts his other hand, knuckles up, and grins, looking happier than anything. On the back of his hand, there's a ladybird, crawling over his skin in a way that makes Zayn want to shudder slightly, never having been the biggest fan of insects.

"She landed on me, Papa," he says, smiling widely, green eyes dancing. "Don't you think she's pretty?" He asks.

Zayn laughs softly at that, a rush of love for this damned adorable kid in front of him hitting his chest square on as he nods. "Sure is. You gonna give her a name?" He asks, trying not to jolt back when the bug creeps towards the boys knuckles, over his fingers.

He giggles, shrugging. "She's tickling me," he says, then ponders over the question. "She's prob'ly already got a name, but she can't tell us. Do you think she's a baby or grown up?" He asks, eyes curious and wide as he tilts his head to watch the tiny creature move.

"I'm not sure. You know, your Dad thinks that the number of spots on a ladybird is how old they are," he says, and the boy hums, counting quietly under his breath before looking up with a smile.

"She's got seven! She's the same age as me, Papa!" His excitement is evident in his voice and Zayn laughs, taking a moment to admire the happiness that one little bug has brought to his kid.

"Wow," he says, letting out another laugh when the ladybird flies away and Harry jumps slightly before giggling too.

Similar situations occur more frequently over the next few weeks as the weather grows hotter. It's the same day that he and Niall save a bumblebee by feeding it sugary water on a spoon that he climbs up into Zayn's lap after dinner and declares his future career choice.

"I'm gonna be a doctor for animals when I'm a grown up," he states with a sure nod.

Liam snickers across the table. "You mean a vet?"

Harry hesitates, glancing up at Zayn for confirmation.

He nods. "Yup. A vet is an animal doctor. And I think you'd be the best vet around," he says, making the big absolutely beam.

Niall claps. "Yeah! Harry's the bestest bet!" He declares, making Liam laugh again.

"Vet, Ni. Not bet," he corrects.

The four year old pouts. "That's what I said!"

The two of them bicker, Louis taking over in subduing the situation whilst Zayn focuses his attention on the seven year old in his lap.

"So, how many bugs have you saved now? Must be...six this week? Seven?" He says, and Harry squints in thought before he looks up with a grin.

"Eight! I saved a worm at school, Papa, 'cause Morgan was tryna stomp on him," he says, wide eyed. "I don't know why he would wanna do that, it's so mean!"

"So mean," Zayn nods in agreement, before he lets out a breath and just takes a moment to hug the boy closer to his chest. "What a kind place the world would be if everyone had a heart as big as yours, hm?"

These boys of theirs are going to move mountains someday, of that much Zayn is certain.

AN:
just a cute little drabble because i realised there hasn't been a lot of little harry in these extras, might post a couple of these today depending on my motivation ahah ;)

Reason To Be (A Zouis Family AU)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें